First, corn gets the southwestern seasoning treatment. Then combine it with melted white cheese to make a spicy White Queso and Corn Dip. Serve with corn or tortilla chips.
Cheese dip made with Rotel tomatoes and melted Velveeta was responsible for most of my freshman 15. This Hoosier girl had never heard of such a thing before. (We’re talking ’70’s here.) I took to the stuff with a little too much gusto at midnight dorm parties causing my clothes to fit pretty tightly by Christmas.
Fast forward a few years and I have a new vice. White Queso and Corn Dip is almost as easy and equally difficult to resist as my “freshman favorite” once you get started. Not surprisingly, it’s perfect for a holiday or game day party. Keep your guests dipping by serving from a crock pot with corn chips or my favorite, multi-grain tortilla chips.
A note about the cheese: I buy the Hot Pepper Cheese at Krogers–it’s their store brand. If not available, substitute white American cheese and add chopped, pickled jalapeno peppers, especially if you like your cheese dip spicy. Although I haven’t tried it myself, I suspect you could also substitute white Velveeta.Print
Southwestern seasoned corn mixed with melted white cheese make a spicy White Queso and Corn Dip to serve with corn or tortilla chips.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups frozen southwestern seasoned corn or canned Mexicorn, drained
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup chopped green chilies
- 16 ounces Hot Pepper pasteurized processed cheese food with jalapeno peppers or white American cheese +1-2 teaspoons pickled jalapeno peppers, chopped
- 1 12-ounce can evaporated milk
- Fresh chopped cilantro (optional)
- Melt butter in large skillet over medium heat. Add corn to skillet and saute until corn barely begins to brown. Stir in garlic and green chilies.
- Reduce heat to low. Cut cheese into small chunks and add to skillet. As cheese begins to melt, stir and add milk gradually till cheese is dipping consistency. You may not use all the milk immediately but save it to thin dip as needed. Whatever you do, don’t let this mixture boil or it will separate and be ruined!
- Add cilantro just before serving if desired.
Keywords: queso, cheese dip, queso recipes, american cheese, jalapeno, southwestern, white cheese