Some people say chocolate doesn’t belong in yeast bread. Obviously, they haven’t tasted this Braided Chunky Chocolate Bread. The small, soft chunks of chocolate scattered throughout the bread provide serious flavor you will find hard to resist.
I have adapted this recipe for the bread machine because that’s the way I do bread. It’s so easy and the results are predictable IF you get the flour and liquid amounts right in the beginning. Proportions liquid and dry ingredients may vary according to the humidity, ambient temperature, temperature of ingredients, hormones, etc. (Just kidding about that last one–I think.)
How to roll out Braided Chunky Chocolate Bread:
Cocoa plus semi-sweet chocolate chunks plus rich, egg dough equals a chocolaty, brioche-style yeast bread.
- 1/2 cup whole milk or put 2 tablespoons heavy cream in measuring cup and add skim milk to make 1/2 cup
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup butter (1/2 stick), melted and cooled
- 1/4 cup Greek yogurt (I use nonfat) or sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 1/4-1/2 cups bread flour (if you use all-purpose unbleached flour you will probably need the entire 3 1/2 cups)
- 2 teaspoons bread machine yeast
- 3 ounces semi-sweet chocolate bar coarsely chopped into 1/4 pieces.
- 1 egg plus 1 teaspoon water
- Add all ingredients except semi-sweet chocolate to bread machine in order listed. Set machine on dough cycle and start.
- After 10-15 minutes, open the lid and assess the consistency of the dough. Add flour 1 tablespoon at a time if necessary to get dough to come into a ball. If dough is too dry and slapping the side, add milk 1 tablespoon at a time until dough sticks to side slightly but pulls off.
- When dough cycle is complete and dough has risen to double its original size, remove from machine to lightly floured board.
- Divide dough in thirds. Roll out each third to an approximately 5 x 14-inch rectangle. Sprinkle 1/3 of chopped chocolate over each rectangle.
- Roll from long side into a cylinder and seal. You should have three snake-like pieces of dough with no visible chocolate pieces.
- Transfer to a prepared cookie sheet (covered with a silicone baking mat or parchment paper). Form into a braid, tuck the end pieces, and shape into a semi-circle. Cover with a towel and let rise in a warm place.
- When twist is almost double in size, brush egg wash over every exposed surface.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 30-40 minutes. Cover with aluminum foil in the last 10-15 minutes to prevent over-browning.
- Cool on a rack.
Keywords: bread machine recipes, breakfast, chocolate, braid, yeast bread recipes
- 5 Reasons Why I Use a Bread Machine
- Choosing the Right Bread Machine
- 6 Bread Machine Secrets for Beginners
- How to Convert a Traditional Yeast Bread Recipe for Use in a Bread Machine
If you enjoy fancy yeast bread, you might like these too: