Almond Fans–A Sweet Yeast Roll are really just fancy looking cinnamon rolls with icing and almonds on top.
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 1/2 cup lowfat sour cream
- 2 tablespoons sugar + 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
- 4 1/2 – 5 cups all-purpose, unbleached flour
- 2 packages or 4 teaspoons bread machine yeast
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 cup softened butter
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon cream cheese
- 1 1/2 tablespoon coffee or milk
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup toasted sliced almonds
- Add ingredients to bread machine in order listed. Set to dough cycle. When finished, remove dough from bread machine pan.
- (To make by hand: In large mixing bowl combine [active dry] yeast, water and 2 tablespoons sugar. Let stand 10 minutes, or until slightly bubbly. Mix in sour cream, salt and remaining sugar. Stir in eggs and butter. Gradually add enough flour to make soft dough. Turn out onto floured surface and knead until smooth and satiny, about 8 minutes. Put into greased bowl, cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes. Punch down and let rise again until almost doubled, about 35 minutes.)
- On a lightly floured board, divide dough into two portions. Roll each half to 12 x 12 inch rectangle.
- Spread half of melted butter (2 tablespoons) on one rectangle. Sprinkle cinnamon-sugar mixture evenly over buttered area. Begin rolling from long side and roll up tightly as possible. Flatten log slightly with palms and slice log into 6 pieces. Then using kitchen shears or pizza cutter, make 3 cuts into each slice cutting to within 1/2 inch to the other side. Twist each slice slightly to make it lay somewhat flatter. Place on a greased baking sheet or one covered with parchment paper or a silicone mat. Cover and let rise until almost double.
- Alternate method for a smaller roll: Cut flattened log into 10-11 pieces instead of 6. Instead of 3 cuts make one. The final product won’t be quite as impressive as the large one but the calories will be much more reasonable. See the picture below for illustration of roll with 3 cuts (top) and roll with 1 cut (bottom).
- Bake at 375 degrees for 15-20 minutes until golden brown.
- Frosting: Soften or allow butter and cream cheese to come to room temperature. Combine butter, cream cheese and coffee or milk together and beat until perfectly smooth. Dip over rolls with a spoon or pour into small plastic zippered bag. Cut off small corner of bag and use to drizzle frosting back and forth over rolls. Sprinkle toasted almonds over frosted rolls immediately before frosting dries. Or pick up frosted roll and turn upside down pressing icing into plate of almonds. This insures the almonds will stick to icing.
Keywords: yeast bread, bread recipes, bread machine, bread machine recipes, almonds, cinnamon rolls