This mixture of garden-fresh veggies, including corn, eggplant, tomato and basil, come together in a delightful summer side dish I like to call Corn and Eggplant Vegetable Medley.
With 100+ temperatures stagnating around us like a lazy fog here in Texas, my motivation and inspiration in the kitchen has melted away faster than frozen-hard butter in a microwave. Consequently, cooking seems like too much trouble. If I do cook, it’s mostly without a recipe.
All this means I have been pulling out my familiar, but also simple favorites like this Corn and Eggplant Vegetable Medley. It’s perfect for people who want to eat more veggies but are tired of green beans and carrots.
I blame the heat for my lethargy, but there might be another reason. Last week, we had to move my mother into a skilled nursing center– temporarily. Thankfully, it’s in the same place where she lived independently with my dad since 1991. Tomorrow, we are moving her to an assisted living apartment. She won’t be able to take many belongings with her, so we have much work ahead of us to clean out her two-bedroom apartment.
Have you been through this yourself? If so, you can certainly understand about the decision-overload and guilt! Thank God for my sister who has traveled here to help me with the million and one decisions ahead of us.
Combine eggplant with other garden-fresh veggies for a delightful summer side dish or vegetarian entree.
- 2 tablespoons garlic olive oil
- 1/2 cup onions, chopped (I always use frozen)
- 1/4 cup green bell peppers, chopped
- 1 cob of corn (approx 1 cup), with corn cut off the ear
- 1 medium eggplant, peeled and diced into 1″ pieces (smaller pieces if you’re skittish about eggplant)
- 1 large tomato, diced
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped
- 1 cup soft bread crumbs
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 strips of crispy, fried bacon, crumbled (optional)
- Heat oil in large skillet. Saute onions and bell peppers until soft. Add corn and saute a couple of minutes until corn is slightly browned. Add eggplant. Saute and stir until eggplant starts to brown. Cover and allow to cook another 5-7 minutes or until eggplant begins to soften.
- Add tomatoes and cook another minute.
- Add bread crumbs and bacon (if using) and season with salt and pepper. Stir in half the cheese and pour into a flat casserole dish. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes.
If it’s too hot to turn on the oven, put a lid on the skillet after you have added all ingredients and turn the heat down low ’til it’s heated through and the cheese is melted. If you’re grilling, put the covered skillet over indirect heat for similar results.
Keywords: dinner, side dishes, eggplant, corn