Browned Butter Pecan Pie is packed with pecans, of course. But the secret ingredient is browned butter. Many a pecan-pie-hater has been converted by this recipe.
My friend and writer extraordinaire, Sara Ann, recently requested the recipe for this family favorite. It is the lightest, most delicate pecan pie I have ever eaten in my entire life. If you try it, I predict your family and friends will see it the same way.
Have you noticed my love affair with browned butter? (i.e Soft Cinnamon Cookies with Browned Butter Icing). It contributes a nutty, buttery, toffee-like flavor to any dessert without taking over the show. It’s the magic ingredient in this pie!
It can also be tricky to eat this candy-bar-on-a-plate without inducing an attack of overwhelming guilt. NO PROBLEM. I have the solution. Grab a jar of salad for lunch the next day and you’ll be back on track in no time. Works for me anyway.
- 1 8 or 9-inch unbaked pie shell
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1 cup sugar (decrease to 3/4 cup for a little less sweetness)
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Dash of salt
- 1 cup pecans, coarsely chopped
Browning the Butter
- Heat butter in a small saucepan or skillet over low heat. It will take several minutes. (Please don't substitute margarine for this delicate operation.) When the solids start to brown, it happens quickly. Be alert. It will smell indescribably fragrant and be a light caramel color when ready. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- In separate bowl, combine corn syrup, sugar, eggs, lemon juice and vanilla in order listed. Thoroughly blend in cooled, browned butter.
- Stir in coarsely chopped nuts. Pecan lovers may want to increase the amount. (If desired, save out a few whole pecans to decorate the top of the pie as shown below.)
- Pour into unbaked pie shell and bake at 325 degrees F for 55-65 minutes. When done, filling may be somewhat softer in the middle but it should not be jiggly.
- Allow to cool before slicing so filling will set properly.
Decorating with Chocolate (optional):
- Place 1/4 cup semi-sweet or bittersweet chocolate chips in a small zippered plastic bag. Microwave on HIGH for 1 minute, 15 seconds or until melted. Snip off the tiniest corner of the bag. Squeeze chocolate out of the hole over the pie in the design of your choice. If you want to squirt the leftover chocolate in your mouth, go ahead. It's our secret.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. But don't worry. This doesn't change the price you pay.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1 slice
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 471 Total Fat: 25g Saturated Fat: 9g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 14g Cholesterol: 100mg Sodium: 106mg Carbohydrates: 63g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 55g Protein: 5g