Amie’s Triple Coconut Cake features a triple hit of coconut– coconut milk, cream of coconut and shaved coconut. You need this recipe if you are a passionate coconut lover!
Have you ever remembered you were supposed to bake something for the office party, a church meeting or a school function at 10:00 the night before just as you were ready to crawl into bed? Hopefully I’m not the only one. But most of the time I’m too proud (unfortunately) to run by the store and grab something in a hard plastic container so I keep a few tricks in my pantry. I got this Triple Coconut Cake from Amie, one of my favorite co-workers. The coconut freaks at my job, including me, go crazy when she brings this cake.
Stocking up on a few staples is helpful to produce this kind of last minute magic. For Amie’s cake, I make sure to keep the following in my cabinet: a white cake mix, coconut milk, cream of coconut, and shaved coconut. (Now you see why I put “triple coconut” in the title.) I would rather do a hundred push-ups than make a midnight run to the grocery store.
hate dislike push-ups!
Changes made to Amie’s Triple Coconut Cake:
- Substituted coconut milk for water in the cake mix.
- Heated the cream of coconut before pouring over the warm cake for more uniform absorption.
- Sprinkled shaved coconut on top instead of shredded.
I don’t use a cake mix very often but my attempts to make this cake from scratch were unsatisfactory. The light and airy texture of a cake mix soaks up the cream of coconut better than any of my own recipes. I used a k-bob stick to make the holes. Amie uses the handle of a wooden spoon for maximum absorption.Print
A travel-worthy cake for coconut lovers.
- 1 Betty Crocker white cake mix
- 1-1/4 cup coconut milk
- 1 15-ounce can cream of coconut
- 8-ounce container of whipped topping
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- Prepare cake mix according to directions on the box, substituting coconut milk for water in the mix. Bake in a 9 x 13 pan. Amie and I both thought the cake was done at least 5 minutes before the box directions predicted. Over bake and the crust will be too dry to absorb the cream of coconut.
- While the cake is still warm, poke holes all over the cake with a skewer.
- Warm cream of coconut for 1-1/2 minutes on HIGH in the microwave and pour over the cake. Chill for several hours or overnight.
- Frost with 1 container of thawed, whipped topping (i.e. Cool Whip). Sprinkle flaked coconut on top. Keep refrigerated.
- Serving Size: 20 servings
- Calories: 286 kcal
- Sugar: 25.3 g
- Fat: 11.9 g
- Carbohydrates: 35.4 g
- Fiber: .4 g
- Protein: 3.3 g
Keywords: Cake, desserts, coconut, coconut milk, shaved coconut, topping, triple coconut
POSTS YOU MIGHT INTERESTING: