Coconut Shortbread Cookies are a simple cookie, chock-full of coconut, and even rolled in coconut. Keep these in your freezer for unexpected company and sugar attacks.
These have all the convenience of icebox cookies. Wow!
“Icebox?” That’s an old-fashioned term. How about “slice-and-bake cookies?” Ah-h-h-h…….
Either way, with only 5 ingredients, it won’t take you long to throw them together. However, the dough MUST be refrigerated before baking, so plan ahead.
If you are a coconut lover, you simply must add this crazy simple cookie to your collection. They’re great on their own, but they also play nice with a simple dessert, like ice cream, pudding, or creme brulée.
How to form Coconut Shortbread Cookies before chilling/baking:
A parting note about Coconut Shortbread Cookies:
These lovely but delicate cookies are not good travelers. That is to say, no US Mail or UPS. On the other hand, they are perfect for a party, shower or tea time snack.
- 1 cup butter, softened (no substitutions)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup flaked coconut plus some for rolling
- Mix butter until creamy. Add sugar and beat until light and fluffy. Add in vanilla. Gradually add in flour, then coconut and mix well.
- Second: Form dough into 12 x 3 x 1-inch log. Wrap in plastic wrap or wax paper. I like to form log into shape that will result in rectangle cookies when sliced. Either freeze at least 2 hours or refrigerate overnight.
- Optional: Cover log with flaked coconut, pressing into dough. I do this after refrigeration.
- Slice dough into 1/4-inch slices and arrange 1 inch apart on cookie sheets. I use parchment paper or silicone baking mat on sheets. Bake in 300 degree oven for 20-30 minutes. Edges should begin to turn golden. Can be frozen up to 2 weeks if wrapped well. Makes about 40 cookies.
- KitchenAid KSM150PSWH Artisan Series 5-Qt. Stand Mixer with Pouring Shield - White
- KitchenAid KHM7210CU 7-Speed Digital Hand Mixer with Turbo Beater II Accessories and Pro Whisk - Contour Silver
- Nordic Ware Natural Aluminum Commercial Baker's Half Sheet (2 Pack), Silver
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. But don't worry. This doesn't change the price you pay.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 85 Total Fat: 5g Saturated Fat: 3g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 1g Cholesterol: 12mg Sodium: 43mg Carbohydrates: 9g Fiber: 0g Sugar: 5g Protein: 1g