Crispy bite-size cookies reminiscent of gingerbread. Also known as Pfeffernusse.
- 1 cup butter (2 sticks)
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons dark syrup (I used date syrup but dark corn syrup or molasses is also good)
- 3-1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons soda
- 1 teaspoon cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon anise oil (optional)
- Whip room-temperature butter until light and fluffy. Add sugar and egg and continue to beat.
- Add remaining ingredients in order given.
- Pull off small pieces of dough and roll to the thickness of a pencil. Slice into 1/4-1/2 inch pieces. Place on a cookie sheet covered with a silicone mat or parchment paper.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 7-9 minutes or until bottoms begin to brown.
Keywords: cookies, gingerbread, gifts, holidays, Christmas