Lemon Bars with a coconut shortbread base and a creamy lemon layer over the top. Uses the entire lemon (minus seeds)–no grating or squeezing required.
- 1 cup flour
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- 1 whole Meyer lemon (may substitute a medium-size regular lemon)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup plain Greek yogurt (I use nonfat)
- Prepare 8-inch square pan by lining with non-stick foil. Mold foil to shape of pan by turning it over, using hands to shape and then placing molded foil back inside. See pictures above. I highly recommend the foil as the lemon filling can leak under the base and make the finished bars difficult to remove.
- Melt butter in microwave for 50 seconds on HIGH in 4 cup or more glass measure. Add flour, powdered sugar, salt, and coconut. Lightly mix with a fork just until all ingredients are moistened. Pat into prepared pan. Bake in oven preheated to 350 degrees F for 20 minutes.
- Quarter washed and dried Meyer lemon. Trim center core and remove ALL seeds. (If you miss one, you’ll have dark specks in your lemon layer.)
- Place lemon in a blender with sugar and pulse on high until mixture is homogeneous throughout, cleaning the sides often. Add flour, salt, and baking powder, pulsing until mixed. Add eggs and yogurt pulsing only 3-4 times or until batter is just mixed but smooth.
- Pour lemon mixture over warm crust immediately after removing crust from the oven. Put back into the oven and bake at 300 degrees for 20 minutes or until middle is set.
- When cool, place in refrigerator to chill for at least 2 hours. Pull bars out of pan with foil still attached. Peel foil away and cut into squares while cold. Sprinkle with powdered sugar just before serving. Serve chilled. Store leftovers in refrigerator.
* Do not layer bars when storing or serving. The crust will soften where they are stacked on top of each other.
* Regular lemons may be substituted for Meyer lemons but the taste will be a bit more tart–still very good.
Keywords: Meyer lemons, yogurt, lemon bars, desserts, cookie recipes