Lime Coconut Squares (or Lemon Almond Squares) have a tasty shortbread base layered with lime or lemon curd and toasted coconut or almonds on top.
In keeping with the “wearing of the green” happening this Wednesday, I have something green for you to eat. And it’s not lettuce for a change.
These simple fruit bars have a tasty shortbread base combined with a thin layer of lime curd and toasted coconut on top. They remind me of traditional lemon squares except they are thinner and easier to make. At 116 calories per serving, these are the perfect little treat for a healthy diet based on moderation.
If lime is not your thing, try substituting lemon curd, strawberry jelly or any other preserves for the lime curd. If you don’t get excited about coconut, try almonds, pistachios, pecans or powdered sugar (sprinkled on top after baked cookies are chilled). The results will be delicious!
One note of warning: These are FRAGILE–handle with care. DO make a sling to remove bars from the pan. They slice cleaner and taste best if chilled before eating.
Microwave Lemon Curd with Lime and Orange VersionsA tasty shortbread base combined with a thin layer of lime or lemon curd and toasted coconut or almonds on top
- 1/4 cup sweetened flaked or shaved coconut
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup prepared lime or lemon curd (instructions for making your own in the microwave here. I HIGHLY recommend it for the freshest flavor. Homemade lime curd is yellow and will need a drop or two of green food coloring if desired.)
- Toast coconut (or nuts). If using flaked coconut, toast in the microwave as seen here. If using shaved coconut (my favorite), toast on cookie sheet in the oven at 350 degrees. I like to toast the whole bag and save the rest to eat as a snack–one tiny piece at a time.
- Whisk together flour, sugar, and salt. Pour melted butter over flour mixture and stir with a fork. Then use fingers to moisten all flour completely. Dough should begin to stick together.
- Press dough mixture into parchment or foil lined 8-inch pan. If using foil, spray with vegetable oil or use non-stick foil. You will be sorry if you skip this step as cookies are thin and difficult to remove from pan after baked. Making a sling as pictured enables easy removal.
- Bake crust for bars until golden brown, about 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and spread curd (warmed first in the microwave to make it more spreadable) over crust. Sprinkle with toasted coconut or nuts. Return to oven and bake another 20 minutes until curd is bubbly. Let cool for 5 minutes and use sling to remove uncut cookies to cooling rack. Chill in refrigerator before cutting and serving.
116 calories per square based on 16 squares per recipe
Keywords: bar cookies, lime, lemon, cookie recipes