Use a microwave to make this super quick, super easy banana cream pie…from scratch.
- 2 1/4 cups milk (any type will work but I use 1/4 cup whipping cream and 2 cups skim milk)
- 4 egg yolks
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 8 or 9-inch baked pie crust
- Dump milk, egg yolks, sugar, cornstarch and salt into blender or food processor. You may also whisk by hand–vigorously. Blend for about 10 seconds. Don’t worry about the foam–it will disappear as filling cooks.
- Pour filling into 2-quart Pyrex glass batter bowl. Cook in microwave on HIGH for 5-7 minutes whisking well after each minute. After 4 minutes, whisk every 30 seconds. Watch filling carefully. It will become thick in a split second and you want to be there to whisk and make sure filling cooks evenly. When this happens it may look like a big lump rising up in the middle or one side. Whisk furiously and it will all smooth out. Keep cooking till thick as pudding but do not allow to boil. Pour the custard through a sieve for the smoothest filling you’ve ever tasted.
- Stir vanilla and butter into thick custard. Press plastic wrap over the surface to prevent a skin from forming. Let cool on the counter (or in ice bath if you are short on time) until lukewarm.
- Whisk cream and pour thin layer into pie shell. Slice a single layer of bananas then cover with another layer of cream. Repeat. In the end, you should have three layers of cream with two layers of bananas, ending with the cream on top. Smooth as much as possible, cover with plastic wrap pressed to the surface to prevent a skin from forming and chill as least a couple hours before serving. Serve with sweetened whipped cream.
Keywords: bananas, pie, pie recipes, cream filling, custard pie, banana pudding recipe, pastry cream recipe