Spinach, corn and mushrooms combine with cream cheese and green chilies to make a spicy and savory dip or side dish.
- 12 oz. bag chopped, frozen spinach
- 8 oz. fresh mushrooms, sliced or coarsely chopped
- 2 slices bacon, 1/4-inch pieces
- 1-2 teaspoons chipotle in adobo sauce, finely chopped (See note)
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped (approximately 1/2 cup)
- 1/4 cup red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons seasoning salt
- 1 cup frozen whole kernel corn, thawed
- 5 ounces processed cheese, (I prefer 2% Velveeta) cubed
- 3 ounces cream cheese (I prefer reduced fat–can’t taste the difference in this recipe)
- 1/2 cup grated Monterey Jack or Cheddar Cheese
- Snip small corner of bag of frozen spinach. Place on plate and microwave (still in bag) 3 minutes to thaw. Spinach should still be bright green. Pour into strainer and mash with a spoon to get as much liquid out as you can. Set aside.
- Second: Saute bacon pieces in medium skillet until crispy. Remove and pour off all but the smallest amount of grease.
- Saute mushrooms in same skillet. When brown, add chipotle, onion, bell pepper and garlic, cooking until vegetables are softened. Season with salt.
- Over low heat, add cheese, stirring to melt and combine.
- Stir in corn and bacon. Pour into 1 1/2 quart baking dish.
- Sixth: Sprinkle grated cheese on top and heat in microwave or oven at 350 until heated through and cheese melts.
Leftover idea: Fill a flour tortilla with 2-3 tablespoons of espinaca and sprinkle with cheese. A quick trip to the microwave makes a very tasty lunch or snack.
Keywords: Vegetables, Spinach, Mexican, Espinaca, Dip