Cauliflower saves the day with this Faux Potato Salad: The Craving-Satisfier. It’s a great way to re-purpose leftover mashed cauliflower.
“Faux” anything always makes me a little nervous. Is the substitution of cauliflower for potatoes worth it?
Just like regular potato salad, people generally prefer their mom’s recipe, so there’s no satisfying everybody with this dupe.
Faux Potato Salad is a close replica of my own mom’s potato salad, celery seed and all. When I went to a potluck as a kid, I would only eat her’s.
I’m reminded of a hairdresser who told me about her own mom’s potato salad. She claimed it was made with hot mashed potatoes and served warm. She didn’t like it any other way which sounded weird to me because I like mine COLD. I tried it though, and it was actually quite good.
As you can see, tradition is the first hurdle when it comes to substitutions. You can always modify the ingredients and/or start a new tradition.
Admittedly, Faux Potato Salad is not going to fool anybody. It’s like eating a bean burger – not the same as a real hamburger, but it has it own merits. For me, it satisfies the craving – especially when eaten with cook-out fare.
Furthermore, y husband gave this recipe a thumbs-up and said I should definitely share it. He likes it with grilled sausage.
A parting word about the texture: I don’t care to encounter chunks of cauliflower in this salad like I do with real potato salad so I puree or mash the whole cauliflower – maybe not as fine as my mashed cauliflower but almost.
- 1 large head cauliflower
- 3 hard-boiled eggs, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup no-sugar-added pickle relish
- 1-2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 packets of preferred sweetener. (I like "Better Stevia" or Swerve)
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- Garnish with paprika if you want it to look like my mom's potato salad.
- Steam or microwave cauliflower. I do mine in the microwave on HIGH for 10 minutes in an uncovered microwave-safe glass bowl. No cover, no water. Stir after 10 minutes and cook another 8-10 minutes on HIGH or until cauliflower is tender.
- Puree cauliflower. I use a food processor. Process until cauliflower is mostly smooth. Transfer cauliflower to a medium mixing bowl.
- Add eggs, mayonnaise, pickle relish, and remaining seasonings. Combine with a light touch and a large spoon. Taste and add additional vinegar and/or sweetener to achieve a perfect balance between the sweet and sour flavors.
- Chill 2-3 hours before serving.
Servings could vary depending on the size of the head of cauliflower you use.
- Pyrex Prepware 2-Quart Glass Measuring Cup
- Cuisinart DLC-10SY Pro Classic 7-Cup Food Processor, White
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. But don't worry. This doesn't change the price you pay.
Serving Size:1 serving
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 306 Total Fat: 21g Saturated Fat: 4g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 16g Cholesterol: 129mg Sodium: 763mg Carbohydrates: 24g Fiber: 4g Sugar: 15g Protein: 7g