These breaded and lightly seasoned Goofproof Chicken Cutlets are so flavorful and crispy, you won’t miss the gravy or the Colonel. Pan-frying yields maximum flavor without heating the kitchen up too much.
One generous serving of this chicken (based on 4 servings) is only 300 calories. But that’s not bad when you can still get golden brown color, delicious seasoning, and a crunchy crust.
Speaking of seasoning, the original recipe warned NOT to make any substitutions for the fresh rosemary. I concur. Seems like a great excuse to plant your own rosemary bush if you haven’t already.
The only drawback with this recipe for Goofproof Chicken Cutlets is that the chicken (and definitely the fish) is best cooked at the last minute. But if you prepare your crumb mixture ahead of time, it won’t take much longer than 10-12 minutes from start to finish.
How To Substitute Tilapia For Chicken:
Since I mentioned fish, I should tell you I tried this with tilapia last night, and it was a hit with my family. As a result of the fish being relatively thin already, there’s no need to pound it first like the chicken. But in every other way, follow the directions just the same.
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast or tenderloins
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 2 thick slices of bread
- 2 tablespoons freshly-grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Place chicken pieces into a plastic bag one at a time to prevent any splatter or flying pieces; press the air out and seal. Pound chicken with a mallet or palm of your hand until approximately 1/2 inch thick.
- Season chicken pieces with salt and pepper.
- Tear up bread and place in the bowl of a food processor or blender along with cheese, parsley, and rosemary. Pulse until finely chopped. Pour crumbs onto a flat plate.
- Beat egg and egg white with a fork and pour into a pie plate.
- Preheat large skillet and add half of the oil. Oil is ready when it glistens.
- Dip each chicken piece into egg mixture, then coat both sides with crumb mixture, pressing lightly to make sure surface is completely covered. Shake gently to release any excess crumbs.
- Lay in hot skillet being careful not to crowd pieces. Cook for 2-3 minutes until golden brown. Flip and cook other side until it is also golden brown.
- Remove cooked chicken to serving platter and add remaining oil to skillet. When oil is ready, cook remaining chicken. Serve immediately.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. But don't worry. This doesn't change the price you pay.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 servings Serving Size: 1 serving
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 436 Total Fat: 23g Saturated Fat: 6g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 15g Cholesterol: 210mg Sodium: 656mg Carbohydrates: 9g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 1g Protein: 46g