Curried Butternut Squash Soup with Coconut Milk is a velvety smooth soup with curry flavors and a bit of a kick thanks to Sriracha sauce. I keep this in my freezer for “don’t-feel-like-cooking-moods,” especially during the colder months. See the notes at the end of the recipe for directions for making in an Instant Pot.
Where do you get most of your recipes?
Friends? Family? Internet? Blogs? Magazines? Cookbooks? Restaurants? Prepared meal services? TV? Newspaper clippings? Your own head?
Me, too! It’s so exciting to find something new. That’s the way I feel about this recipe.
Doesn’t that seem to be the way recipes evolve these days?
I kinda like it. In my mind, there’s no reason to reinvent the wheel when you only need a hole patched, a differently sized wheel, or a better way to install the wheel.
An Easier Way to Peel Butternut Squash
Honestly, I have avoided butternut squash for years because I found the preparation too difficult and time-consuming. I know I could buy already peeled-and-cubed squash at the supermarket. But somehow, that’s a guilt-inducing option I can’t seem to justify.
However, since I discovered this trick for softening the skin, I’ve been eating butternut squash like there’s no tomorrow. Place a whole squash into your microwave and cook on HIGH for 4-5 minutes. To be safe, pierce it a couple times with a sharp knife before you start.
Once it cools a bit, cut the ends off and peel with a potato peeler. Cut whole squash in half and clean out seeds.
On the other hand, you may want to slice the whole squash in half before you peel if it’s easier for you to handle.
An Easy Way to Clean Seeds Out of Butternut Squash
If you want a creamy texture without using the real cream called for in so many butternut soup recipes, try coconut milk (“lite” if you prefer). It’s not too heavy but adds a nice mouth-feel and only the slightest coconut flavor.
Second, don’t leave out the Asian fish sauce. It’s easy to find in the Oriental section of the grocery store and keeps forever. Moreover, I predict you will find other uses for it, especially if you like stir-fry recipes.
Likewise with the Sriracha or rooster sauce, as we call it at my house. You don’t need much but it adds an unforgettable zing.
How To Assemble Curried Butternut Squash Soup with Coconut Milk (Instant Pot):
Sauté onions in coconut oil.
Chop softened and peeled squash into 1″ pieces.
Add remaining ingredients except cilantro.
Cook for 10 minutes on High Pressure. Use a natural or quick release (of pressure.)
Use an immersion blender, a food processor, or a blender to purée.
If you happen to have an immersion blender, it was made for this recipe. Alternatively, use a blender or a food processor to whip this soup into creamy submission, but an immersion blender means no extra dirty dishes.
If you make this and enjoy the recipe, it would help me and others if you would return to this post and leave a rating (on the recipe card itself underneath the picture). Although always appreciated, no comment is required. Thanks so much! Paula
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil (or olive oil)
- 1/2 cup chopped, frozen onion
- 2-3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 whole butternut squash
- 1 (14-ounce) can unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup (I sub a packet (1/2 teaspoon) of erythritol/stevia blend to cut the sugar)
- 1 tablespoon Asian fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon or less Sriracha
- Fresh cilantro for garnish
- Saute onion in coconut oil in medium-size dutch oven or large saucepan until onion is translucent.
- While onion cooks, microwave whole, unpeeled butternut squash about 5 minutes to soften skin. Cut off each end, divide in half and remove seeds. Peel each half, then cube squash into 1-inch cubes.
- Add garlic to onion and sauté for 1-2 minutes. Stir in curry powder and continue cooking for another minute or two.
- Add squash, coconut milk, chicken broth, maple syrup, fish sauce, and Sriracha sauce to onion mixture. Bring to a boil and allow to simmer until squash is soft.
- Use an immersion blender to puree soup in in the dutch oven you made it in. (Or you can use a blender or food processor.)
- Garnish with cilantro if desired.
Instant Pot Instructions
- Sauté onion in coconut oil in Instant Pot until onion is translucent, about 2 minutes.
- While onion cooks, microwave whole, unpeeled butternut squash about 5 minutes to soften skin. Cut off each end, divide in half and remove seeds. (A spring-loaded ice cream scoop works like magic) Peel each half, then cube squash into 1-inch cubes.
- Add garlic to the onion and continue to sauté for 1-2 minutes. Stir in the remaining ingredients except cilantro. Set to High Pressure for 10 minutes. Allow pressure to release naturally.
- Use an immersion blender to puree soup in in the Instant Pot. (Or you can use a regular blender or food processor.) Garnish with cilantro if desired.
- Cuisinart CSB-76BC SmartStick 200-Watt Immersion Hand Blender, Brushed Chrome
- Cuisinart DLC-10SY Pro Classic 7-Cup Food Processor, White
- Instant Pot DUO60 6 Qt 7-in-1 Multi-Use Programmable Pressure Cooker, Slow Cooker, Rice Cooker, Steamer, Sauté, Yogurt Maker and Warmer
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. But don't worry. This doesn't change the price you pay.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 260 Total Fat: 13g Saturated Fat: 6g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 6g Cholesterol: 36mg Sodium: 1011mg Carbohydrates: 25g Fiber: 3g Sugar: 7g Protein: 13g
This post was originally posted in February 2014. Updated and edited in November 2018 with new photographs and Instant Pot directions._
Mild Chicken Curry
Mild Chicken Curry is a simple weeknight dinner of mildly spiced tomato-y chicken curry. It will remind you of Chicken Masala but is much easier.Get the Recipe
Miniature, savory, yellow squash pancakesGet the Recipe
Roasted Yellow Squash with Parmesan
Thinly sliced yellow squash lightly coated with olive oil and sprinkled with Parmesan for a slightly crispy and flavorful veggie side dishGet the Recipe
Green Chili and Squash Dressing: It's Not Just for ThanksgivingContinue Reading
Colorful Fresh Yellow Squash and Peppers Recipe
Fresh yellow squash makes a delicious but simple casserole similar to that served at Black-Eyed Pea restaurants in the South.Get the Recipe