One of my husband’s favorite comfort foods with macaroni, ground beef, pasta sauce and plenty of catsup.
- 12 ounces elbow macaroni
- Salt and pepper
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 cup frozen, chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 2 celery ribs, chopped finely
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 (29-ounce) can tomato or pasta sauce
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup catsup
- a quick squirt of Sriracha
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- Boil pasta in salted water for 3 minutes. Drain, rinse with cold water, and set aside.
- Brown ground beef. Season with salt and pepper. Drain off excess grease. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Saute onion, bell pepper, and celery in same pan until softened and lightly browned. Add tomato paste and stir, continuing to cook for about 2 minutes. Add garlic and red pepper flakes along with tomato sauce, tomatoes, water, and cooked ground beef. Simmer until vegetables are tender, 15-20 minutes.
- Remove from heat, stir in macaroni, cover and allow to sit about 10 minutes.
- Stir in catsup, Sriracha and cheese. (If you don’t have Parmesan, we like cheddar cheese, too.)
- Season with salt and pepper. Garnish with additional Parmesan if desired.
- Serving Size: 1/6 of recipe
- Calories: 485 kcal
- Sugar: 14.7 g
- Fat: 27 g
- Carbohydrates: 25.9 g
- Fiber: 4.9 g
- Protein: 34.3 g
Keywords: Dinner, Supper Recipes, 0ne-Dish, Goulash