Southwestern Roasted Stuffed Peppers are red bell peppers stuffed with sausage, zucchini, black beans, corn, tomatoes, and rice, and finally, cheese. Leftovers make a great burrito filling.
Which is your favorite? Red, green, orange or yellow bell peppers? I prefer red, but you can use any color you like in this recipe.
Use your creativity with this recipe. For example, leave out ingredients you don’t have or don’t like and add things you do. Personally, I vary the meat and vegetables according to what is in my refrigerator. The recipe is only a jumping off point.
These stuffed peppers can be found in my freezer at all times. Pop them into the microwave for 5-6 minutes and you’ve got a light supper.Print
Red bell peppers stuffed with sausage, zucchini, corn, tomatoes and rice–topped with cheese.
- 4 large yellow or red bell peppers, halved lengthwise and seeded
- olive oil spray
- 1/2 pound ground meat (beef, sausage, turkey sausage) (optional)
- 1/4 c. onions, chopped
- 1 medium zucchini, diced
- 2 cups rice, cooked
- 1 cup black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup corn, fresh or frozen
- 8 oz. can tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- Pepper, freshly ground
- 1/2 cup Monterey Jack cheese, grated
- Heat oven to 450 degrees. Line a large jelly-roll pan with foil. Spray outside of pepper halves with oil. Arrange peppers cut side down on prepared pan; bake on lower rack 15 to 20 minutes. When finished cooking, turn right side up and arrange in 9 x 13 inch dish.
- Meanwhile, sauté ground meat of your choice if you are using it. Drain. Add onions and saute for 3 minutes till soft. Add zucchini, rice, beans, corn, tomato sauce, and spices. Heat thoroughly.
- Spoon rice mixture into cooked pepper halves. Sprinkle cheese over top. Return to oven for about 10 minutes until cheese is melted. Freezes well.
- Serving Size: 1/8
- Calories: 195 kcal
- Sugar: 5.4 g
- Sodium: 144 mg
- Fat: 5 g
- Carbohydrates: 27.9 g
- Fiber: 7.8 g
- Protein: 10 g
Keywords: leftovers, freezer, supper, lunch,
p.s. If you try this recipe and like it, I would be honored it you would come back and leave a comment and a rating. Thanks so much. paula