Chicken thighs are marinated in a made-from-scratch teriyaki sauce, then cooked under the broiler or on a grill to make Easy Black and White Sesame-Teriyaki Chicken Thighs. Garnish with black and white sesame seeds before serving
Are you the kind of person who thinks ahead about what you want to eat for dinner?
Anytime I can make a recipe or any part of it ahead of time, I’m a happy cook.
With that in mind, I’m glad to report the teriyaki marinade for this chicken can be mixed and stored up to a week ahead of time.
On the morning of the
When ready for dinner, drain the chicken. Grill or broil the thighs for 6-8 minutes per side. It’s that easy!
As a finishing touch, try using black sesame seeds in addition to regular sesame seeds when making these Easy Black and White Sesame-Teriyaki Chicken Thighs.
I know what you’re thinking…
Don’t have black sesame seeds? Don’t fret.
It won’t change the flavor to leave them out. (Hint: Places like Central Market and Whole Foods in my area sell them in the bulk spice aisle. That way you won’t have to buy a bunch.)
- 1/3 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons dry sherry
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed with a garlic press or minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons peeled and finely grated fresh ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (adjust to your spice tolerance)
- 8-10 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- Sesame seeds
- Black sesame seeds
- Chopped chives (optional)
- Whisk together first seven ingredients to make teriyaki marinade.
- Pour marinade into gallon zippered plastic bag or bowl along with chicken thighs. Allow to sit in the refrigerator a minimum of 30 minutes or all day if necessary.
- Preheat broiler. Drain teriyaki sauce into 2-quart glass batter bowl and reserve. Arrange chicken thighs "skin" side down on foil-covered cookie sheet. Place under broiler (or grill, if you prefer) until brown and crispy 6-8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook reserved teriyaki sauce in microwave 4-5 minutes. Sauce will boil and cook down a bit.
- When turning chicken thighs, brush marinade over the top and continue to broil another 6-8 minutes until chicken is almost cooked through.
- Sprinkle chicken with "white" sesame seeds and cook until seeds turn golden brown--about 1-2 minutes longer. Remove from oven and sprinkle with black sesame seeds before serving. Garnish with chopped chives if desired.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 397 Total Fat: 19g Saturated Fat: 5g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 14g Cholesterol: 228mg Sodium: 884mg Carbohydrates: 10g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 6g Protein: 48g
Chicken and Smoked Sausage Gumbo
Chicken and smoked sausage gumbo including instructions for making roux in the microwave.Get the Recipe
Chicken Pesto Pizza
Chicken Pesto Pizza uses flavorful pesto sauce in place of pizza sauce. Add some cooked chicken, cheese and cilantro or basil for a gourmet pizza you can easily put together from start to finish.Get the Recipe
Chicken and Green Bean Stirfry with Sesame Seeds
Avoid another take-out night with these tender green beans and chicken combined in a spicy stir fry sauce and served over rice.Get the Recipe
Mild Chicken Curry
Mild Chicken Curry is a simple weeknight dinner of mildly spiced tomato-y chicken curry. It will remind you of Chicken Masala but is much easier.Get the Recipe
Crispy Chicken and Spinach Flautas
Crispy Chicken and Spinach Flautas are made with flour tortillas, rotisserie chicken, spinach and cheese.Get the Recipe
Goofproof Chicken Cutlets
Speedy, breaded, chicken cutlets with maximum flavor - try it with fish, too.Get the Recipe
Poppy Seed Chicken Salad
A fancy chicken salad full of white chicken, celery, almonds, poppy seeds and dried cranberries.Get the Recipe
Crispy Almond Chicken Tenderloins
Transform a simple chicken tenderloin fillet into company fare when breaded with almonds and bread crumbs, sautéed, and baked.Get the Recipe