Simple refried beans are cooked in the Instant Pot with no pre-soaking required.
- 1/4 cup bacon grease or vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves fresh garlic, chopped
- 1 small jalapeño pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 4-1/2 cups hot tap water
- 1 pound dried pinto beans, sorted and washed
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1-1/2 teaspoon salt (or Adobo seasoning)
- Ground black pepper and/or hot sauce (optional)
- Add bacon grease to Instant Pot and set to “Sauté.” When grease is melted, add onions, garlic and jalapeño pepper. Sauté approximately 3-5 minutes until onions are soft.
- Pour hot tap water into pot so it can come to a boil while you sort and wash beans.
- Add beans to pot and seal. Turn off the Sauté button and set to Cook on HIGH pressure for 50 minutes.
- Release pressure 10 minutes after pressure cooking finishes.
- Open pot and stir in tomato paste, salt, black pepper, and hot sauce to taste. If you have Adobo seasoning on hand, use it instead of salt for a more authentic Tex-Mex flavor.
- Use an immersion blender or a potato masher to pulverize beans to your preferred level of chunkiness. If you like your beans really smooth, use a food processor and blend in batches.
- If beans seem too dry after mashing, add a little bit of water to bring to desired consistency.
- Skip step #4 if you just want a mean bowl of beans.
- Serving Size: 1/12 of recipe
- Calories: 185 kcal
- Sugar: 2.6 g
- Sodium: 341.8 mg
- Fat: 5 g
- Carbohydrates: 26.8 g
- Fiber: 6.6 g
- Protein: 8.6 g
Keywords: pinto beans, Instant Pot, simple and easy refried beans