One-Pot Beef Goulash is a combination of ground beef, macaroni, pasta sauce and cheese. Stir together and add catsup for delicious comfort food.
It’s not my mother-in-law’s goulash, rest her soul.
I could be wrong about this, and I can no longer verify it with her, but I think her recipe went something like this. First, you boil the macaroni and drain it. Add browned ground beef and maybe some onions? Then you drown the whole mess with a bottle of catsup and add a lot of cheddar cheese. Finally, stir it up good.
When I recently saw a recipe for “American Chop Suey” in Cook’s Illustrated, I was puzzled by the title. Never before had I heard a mixture of beef, tomatoes, sauce, and macaroni called “Chop Suey.” Sounds Chinese. Nevertheless, I recognized the food in the picture as a first cousin to my husband’s beloved goulash, so I immediately set out to gather the ingredients.
Making One-Pot Beef Goulash:
I followed the Cooks’ Illustrated recipe pretty closely with these exceptions:
- Red bell peppers stood in for the green peppers.
- Substituted pasta sauce for the tomato sauce.
- Added some Parmesan cheese. Cheddar would taste good, too.
After making the above modifications, something was still missing. My first thought was….ketchup. Yep! Sure enough, a couple glugs of ketchup added to this One-Pot Beef Goulash added some sauciness, a touch of sweetness, and brought back all kinds of memories of eating Goulash at my mother-in-law’s house. Food can do that sometimes.Print
One of my husband’s favorite comfort foods with macaroni, ground beef, pasta sauce and plenty of catsup.
- 12 ounces elbow macaroni
- Salt and pepper
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 cup frozen, chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 2 celery ribs, chopped finely
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 (29-ounce) can tomato or pasta sauce
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup catsup
- a quick squirt of Sriracha
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- Boil pasta in salted water for 3 minutes. Drain, rinse with cold water, and set aside.
- Brown ground beef. Season with salt and pepper. Drain off excess grease. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Saute onion, bell pepper, and celery in same pan until softened and lightly browned. Add tomato paste and stir, continuing to cook for about 2 minutes. Add garlic and red pepper flakes along with tomato sauce, tomatoes, water, and cooked ground beef. Simmer until vegetables are tender, 15-20 minutes.
- Remove from heat, stir in macaroni, cover and allow to sit about 10 minutes.
- Stir in catsup, Sriracha and cheese. (If you don’t have Parmesan, we like cheddar cheese, too.)
- Season with salt and pepper. Garnish with additional Parmesan if desired.
- Serving Size: 1/6 of recipe
- Calories: 485 kcal
- Sugar: 14.7 g
- Fat: 27 g
- Carbohydrates: 25.9 g
- Fiber: 4.9 g
- Protein: 34.3 g
Keywords: Dinner, Supper Recipes, 0ne-Dish, Goulash