Roasted Veggies–Good Hot or Cold will give you easy-to-follow directions for grilling or roasting various summer vegetables.
I’ve learned a few things already since I started writing this blog. I like vegetable mixtures. Never noticed that before. Maybe they just seem more interesting without a lot of fuss or added spices, butter or sauces.
This particular recipe has several uses. Not only is it good to eat the way it is straight out of the oven, but I love it on my salad in a jar. Add a little balsamic vinegar for dressing and Voila!–a tasty lunch. The grilled or roasted veggies also make a yummy sandwich filling with my foccacia.
Directions for grilling various summer vegetables
- 1/2 onion, sliced
- 1 teaspoon garlic (to your taste)
- 1-2 red and/or green bell peppers, sliced or large dice
- 1 eggplant, diced
- 2 medium yellow squash, sliced
- 2 medium zucchini squash, sliced
- 8 oz. portobello or white button mushrooms, sliced
- fresh basil or rosemary, chopped
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with foil. Spray with olive oil or vegetable spray. Spread onions, garlic and peppers on tray and spray with oil. Bake for about 10 minutes. Remove from oven, stir, and add remaining veggies. If veggies make more than a single layer, use two cookie sheets. Spray again with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.
- Return to oven for 15-20 minutes until cooked to desired softness. Don’t cook too long or they will lose their texture and be mushy. Add fresh herbs to your taste. Season with salt and pepper. For extra flavor, sprinkle with a little bit of balsamic vinegar.
1. The vegetables are excellent grilled too. I cut the pieces a little bigger to prevent falling through the grate.
2. Before you put these in the oven, you will think you have enough to feed an army. They will shrink–a lot!
- Calories: 64
- Sodium: 19 mg
- Fat: .7 g
- Carbohydrates: 13.4 g
- Fiber: 5.4 g
- Protein: 4 g
Keywords: side dish, roasted vegetable recipe