Would you like to quit buying expensive bags of cut lettuce? Read about “An Amazing Way To Make Chopped Lettuce Last Longer” by vacuum-packing it in a Mason jar instead. Not only will your cut lettuce last longer, but it will be like healthy pre-prepared convenience food you can easily grab for lunch.
Do you wish you were eating more lettuce/salads? I used to feel the same way but I thought it was too much trouble. Especially when I was ravenous and ready to eat ASAP.
Now I’m a DAILY salad eater and you can be, too!
Why? Because having a salad no longer means washing the lettuce, spinning it dry, then tearing or cutting it into bite-size pieces. This can all be done up to 10 days ahead of time in one 30-minute session.
When I’m ready to eat, all I have to do is pop open the lid, dump the chopped lettuce into a bowl, and decide what else I’m in the mood to eat in my salad.
What is the secret to getting chopped lettuce to last longer?
Chopped romaine lettuce will stay crisp and fresh for 7-10 days when vacuum-packed in a glass Mason jar and stored in the refrigerator.
Bear in mind that we’re assuming the lettuce is fairly fresh and hasn’t been hanging around in some warehouse or your fridge too long since it was harvested.
My method takes less than 30 minutes (with a little practice) and minimal equipment to prepare 6-9 quart-size jars. This should not take hours (unless you decide to pack lots of extras into the jar).
Five Benefits of Vacuum-Packing Lettuce
Unnecessary to tear lettuce leaves by hand or cut with a plastic knife
No getting out your chopping board and salad spinner every day to make a salad.
On the run? Grab a jar and take it with you.
Save money–especially when you buy lettuce in bulk.
No more wasting money on prepackaged salads that often aren’t fresh the day you bring them home.
Here’s What You Need:
- Hearts of Romaine lettuce
- Sharp knife (My favorite is a Wusthoff Santoku knife.)
- Chopping board
- Salad spinner
- Very large mixing bowl
- Wide-mouth jar attachment-about $9
- Clean quart-size Mason glass jars with 2-part metal lids
- Full-size vacuum-pack machine or a portable vacuum-device (much cheaper and easier to store)
How To Prepare the Lettuce for Vacuum-Packing
How To Fill and Seal Chopped Lettuce in Mason Jars
Ready to eat a salad?
Pop the lid and empty a jar of lettuce into a bowl or onto a plate. Add whatever extras you want. I often add more lettuce–the kind that is too delicate for vacuum-packing i.e. spinach, arugula, or spring mix.
Enjoy the virtuous feeling that comes with eating healthy vegetables.
Please note: The tomatoes were not packed with the lettuce. They are just for looks.
3 FAQ About This Amazing Way To Make Chopped Lettuce Last Longer
Why vacuum-pack instead of just using a regular screw-on lid?
The secret to the success of vacuum-packed salad-in-a-jar is the removal of oxygen. Oxygen will eventually turn cut lettuce edges brown. See this post for a pictorial comparison of various methods of lettuce storage.
Why not just store clean lettuce in a plastic bag with a paper towel?
You can do that… if you leave the lettuce whole, un-chopped and un-torn. It will last longer than buying a bag of chopped lettuce from the store, for sure. However, the lettuce will still need to be cut or torn into smaller pieces before eating.
For me, that’s too much trouble when I walk in the door hungry. I like to have everything ready to grab-and-go, with leaves already in small pieces and ready to pour into a bowl and eat.
Can I add other vegetables or favorite salad ingredients?
You can, but the shelf-life of additional vegetables varies compared to the lettuce. For example, while the lettuce may still be good for several days, the sliced cucumbers you packed with it can go bad within 2-3 days depending on their freshness.
I prefer to stick to lettuce only in my jars. That way I can decide each day what I will eat with it depending on my mood and availability of fruits, veggies, or leftovers in my fridge. Click here to read more on the subject.
Where Can I Get More Information about this “Amazing Way To Make Chopped Lettuce Last Longer”?
Commenter Rick did a study about the effectiveness of the vacuum-packing process and posted his results here. Read through the comments on this post for more opinions.
- Fresh romaine lettuce (I use hearts of romaine because the inner leaves last longer than the dark green leaves on a whole head of romaine.) In general, one "heart of romaine" lettuce will fill one quart jar, but that varies.
- Wash romaine lettuce well, leaving the leaves intact at the base.
- Cut lengthwise through the entire head at least 4-5 times.
- Now slice crosswise about 3/4 to 1 inch apart according to your preference.
- Fill salad spinner and run under the faucet one more time. Spin dry.
- Dump into a very large bowl. Fill jars with chopped, spun-dry lettuce. I pack them as tightly as possible.
- Seal jars using a wide-mouth jar attachment and a vacuum-pack machine. Screw on rings as insurance to keep lid sealed.
- Refrigerate up to 10 days depending on how fresh your lettuce is when you started this process.
The number of servings or quart jars you end up with depends on how many heads of romaine you use and how compact and large they are. It will also be affected by how tightly you pack the lettuce into the jars.
- OXO Steel Salad Spinner
- FoodSaver V2244 Vacuum Sealer Machine
- Reynolds Handi-vac Vacuum Storage System
- Ball Mason Jars Wide Mouth 32 oz Bundle with Non Slip Jar Opener- Set of 4 Quart Size Mason Jars - Canning Glass Jars with Lids
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. But don't worry. This doesn't change the price you pay.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 54 Total Fat: 1g Saturated Fat: 0g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 1g Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 25mg Carbohydrates: 10g Fiber: 7g Sugar: 4g Protein: 4g
How To Vacuum-Pack Chopped Lettuce To Prolong Freshness was first published in 2009 during the first month of this blog. It has been updated with mostly new pictures and answers to many questions I have received since.
For more information about which vacuum-pack machine to buy, see the related posts below.