Sausage and Pepper Upside-Down Cornbread — try this cornbread baked over a layer of hot sausage and peppers. Flip it and serve with enchilada sauce.
Who can resist crusty cornbread baked over a hidden layer of spicy sausage and peppers? Flip it out of the pan and serve it upside down for a memorable meal.
I like to use hot pork sausage and three colors of peppers for added color. Although you could use a mix or your own cornbread recipe, our favorite comes from the back of Lamb’s Stone Ground Corn Meal package. It’s perfect for this recipe due to the sturdy texture.
Try serving Sausage and Pepper Upside-Down Cornbread with a pot of pinto beans. You will find it tastes fabulous crumbled into the beans and juice. OR, pour canned or homemade enchilada sauce over the top. A cheese sauce or queso would also be tasty. Then again, you might prefer it plain but we (the condiment family) like it best with a sauce.
How to assemble Sausage and Pepper Upside-Down Cornbread:Print
Cornbread baked over a layer of hot sausage and peppers
- 1 pound Hot sausage
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 green bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 yellow or orange bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup grated Cheddar cheese
1 recipe Southern Cornbread
- 1 cup stone ground corn meal (yellow or white)
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk (1/2 milk + 1/2 water)
- 1/4 cup oil or bacon drippings (heat in baking pan until piping hot)
- Lightly brown sausage in 10-inch skillet. It will get browner in the oven so don’t go too brown now.
- Add onion and peppers to skillet and cook until tender.
- Sprinkle shredded cheese over meat mixture.
- Pour cornbread batter on top. Bake in 450 degree F oven for 25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Place serving plate over the top of skillet. Carefully flip cornbread over resulting in the meat layer on top.
- Combine dry ingredients in medium bowl.
- Add beaten egg and milk
- Pour hot oil into batter and stir briefly. Go to step 4 above.
Keywords: Tex-Mex recipes, dinner recipe, cornbread