Meatball Ratatouille Soup is packed with mini meatballs combined with eggplant, zucchini, tomatoes and Italian spices in this delicious soup–easy on the waistline.
a. a movie
b. cold tomato based soup
c. an excuse to buy eggplant
d. the inspiration for one of my favorite “fat day” soups
e. what rats say to each other after they sneeze
f. hard to spell
Answer? All except e. And “e” could be true, but I ‘m unable to verify the facts.
You may know “Ratatouille” as a movie or a cold soup. For me, it’s best as a hot soup for a “fat” day.
Can you relate to “fat” days? If you are a woman, I’m betting you can–no matter what you weigh.
Feel free to leave out the meatballs if you are vegetarian or vigilantly counting calories. However, they add flavor and texture. Mushrooms would be a nice substitution, if you favor that route.
Speaking of calories–only 173 per serving. Without meatballs: 67 per serving. This is one of my favorite skinny secrets–especially in cold weather.Print
Mini meatballs combined with eggplant, zucchini, tomatoes and Italian spices in a delicious soup–easy on the waistline.
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup onions, choppped
- 1/2 cup green peppers, chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 2-3 medium zucchini, sliced
- 1/2 small to medium eggplant, peeled and diced (Here’s an idea for the other half)
- 1 14 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 10 ounce can beef broth (or equivalent beef base or bouillon and water)+ 1 can water
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil or 1 teaspoon fresh basil, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Grated parmesan cheese to garnish
- Form ground beef into mini meatballs. You can do this by hand but my preference is a tiny ice cream dipper. Brown in large saucepan or dutch oven.
- Add onions and green peppers to ground beef and saute 2-3 minutes. Add garlic and saute another minute.
- Add zucchini, eggplant, tomatoes, broth and seasonings. Simmer 15 to 20 minutes. Serve with fresh grated parmesan cheese if desired.
Keywords: soup/stew, eggplant, ratatouille, meatballs
Calories 173 (without beef–67)
Sodium 289 mg
Total Carbohydrates 12.0 g
Dietary Fiber 4.1
Protein 21.7 g