Combine eggplant with other garden-fresh veggies for a delightful summer side dish or vegetarian entree.
- 2 tablespoons garlic olive oil
- 1/2 cup onions, chopped (I always use frozen)
- 1/4 cup green bell peppers, chopped
- 1 cob of corn (approx 1 cup), with corn cut off the ear
- 1 medium eggplant, peeled and diced into 1″ pieces (smaller pieces if you’re skittish about eggplant)
- 1 large tomato, diced
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped
- 1 cup soft bread crumbs
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 strips of crispy, fried bacon, crumbled (optional)
- Heat oil in large skillet. Saute onions and bell peppers until soft. Add corn and saute a couple of minutes until corn is slightly browned. Add eggplant. Saute and stir until eggplant starts to brown. Cover and allow to cook another 5-7 minutes or until eggplant begins to soften.
- Add tomatoes and cook another minute.
- Add bread crumbs and bacon (if using) and season with salt and pepper. Stir in half the cheese and pour into a flat casserole dish. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes.
If it’s too hot to turn on the oven, put a lid on the skillet after you have added all ingredients and turn the heat down low ’til it’s heated through and the cheese is melted. If you’re grilling, put the covered skillet over indirect heat for similar results.
Keywords: dinner, side dishes, eggplant, corn