A poached egg with a soft yolk serves as “instant” Hollandaise sauce for this single serving of grilled asparagus. Makes a lovely appetizer or vegetable side.
My 10-year old palate never dreamed asparagus might be a delicacy. Mom grew it in her garden back home in Indiana, so we had plenty. Olive green and cooked till mushy, asparagus for dinner was reason enough to feign nausea and head for bed.
Can you identify?
As an adult, I discovered a new appreciation for asparagus, and not just because I figured out how expensive it was in the store. After eating it grilled, I was smitten.
While celebrating our anniversary at a nice restaurant recently, we were served freshly grilled asparagus with a soft poached egg on top. The waiter called it “instant Hollandaise.” Simple but sophisticated. I may be late to the party on this one, but I fell in love and wanted to share this easy recipe with you after last week’s multi-ingredient Cajun fest.
- 1 Tablespoon toasted bread crumbs
- 6-8 stalks fresh asparagus with the tough stalk trimmed
- 1 soft-cooked, poached egg
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- To prepare bread crumbs, use a food processor or blender to tear a slice of stale bread into small pieces the size of oatmeal. Saute in a skillet over medium heat with enough butter to barely coat crumbs and give a nice crunchy brown crust.
- Lightly spray or brush asparagus with olive oil. Grill over medium-high heat until spears begin to turn bright green, turning once or twice as they cook. Can be done with a grill pan on the stove, an outdoor grill or even under a broiler. Remove to serving plate.
- Poach egg , leaving the yolk soft (see links at the end of this post if you aren't sure how to do this) and carefully place on top of asparagus. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste and top with toasted bread crumbs.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. But don't worry. This doesn't change the price you pay.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 1 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 107 Total Fat: 5g Saturated Fat: 2g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 3g Cholesterol: 185mg Sodium: 475mg Carbohydrates: 7g Fiber: 3g Sugar: 2g Protein: 9g