Roasted Nuts with Rosemary and Shallots are toasted mixed nuts combined with rosemary and sautéed shallots. Serve warm for “come hither” effect. Great appetizer!
Just in time for the Superbowl, these nuts are a great idea for your snack table.
At a recent Christmas cookie exchange, which I told about here, this recipe was the star of the show. Nevermind the sparkly cookies, decorated cut-outs, fudge and numerous other sweets. We wanted savory. We wanted spicy. We wanted salty. We wanted what we could smell baking in the kitchen.
And…we got it. Rosemary, shallots and garlic flavor these toasty mixed nuts. It’s best to eat them warm out of the oven. Certainly the same day. I recommend serving them from a small crock pot since “warm” is really the only way to eat them right.
One warning: the smell!
Oh my! Talk about aromatherapy. One whiff and you will forget about your troubles and your waistline. They may even help soften the disappointment if your favorite team didn’t make it to the Super Bowl.Print
Roasted Nuts with Rosemary and Shallots are toasted mixed nuts combined with rosemary and sautéed shallots. Serve warm. Great appetizer!
- 5 cups mixed nuts, such as walnuts, cashews, almonds, pecans, and hazelnuts
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 small shallots, thinly sliced crosswise into rings to yield about 1/4 cup
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced lengthwise
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh rosemary
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Arrange nuts in a single layer on baking sheet and toast until golden–8-12 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Add shallots and garlic to hot olive oil in a small skillet over medium heat. Fry until golden brown. Remove to paper towels and set aside.
- Pour melted butter over nuts. Stir in rosemary, cayenne, brown sugar, and salt. Add shallots and garlic and combine well. Serve warm. Nuts can also be reheated in a 300 degree oven for 8-10 minutes but watch carefully.
Keywords: appetizer recipe, mixed nuts, rosemary, shallots