Make Bread Machine Pretzel Buns for a fun sandwich or eat them alone with a little mustard.
Can also be made by hand or with a stand mixer. See instructions here.
My bread machine has been getting a work-out lately. Have I mentioned my son, daughter-in-law and their two sons (4 years and 10 mos) are living with us just until they can find a house? Susie and I both like to bake bread and it’s much more fun with plenty of appreciative people around to eat it.
I’ve been looking to add trendy pretzel buns to my repertoire so when I saw the original recipe for these buns on the King Arthur website, I downsized it and adapted it to the bread machine.
How to make a flatter bun:
I also did not care for the high, round buns they showed in the picture (too much bread in the middle bites), so I devised a way to make mine flatter–more like a traditional sandwich bun.
Before placing the buns in boiling water, I flattened each bun with my hand. You can see a difference in the shape in the picture below.
When to use Pretzel Buns:
Because these are chewy like a pretzel, I would suggest a sturdy filling, like a hamburger or a chicken breast. Chicken salad or other gooey concoctions tend to squish out all over the place when you take a bite. At least that’s my experience.
On the other hand, my husband likes to eat the buns best with no filling. He only needs a little mustard.
How to form Bread Machine Pretzel Buns:
Just in case you need a tutorial for how to make nice round balls, check out the video.
- 1-1/8 cup (9 ounces) warm water
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups (13 ounces) unbleached all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons nonfat dry milk
- 1-1/4 teaspoon instant or bread machine yeast
- Coarse salt
- 2 quarts water
- 1/4 cup baking soda
- 1 tablespoon salt
- Add all ingredients except coarse salt to bread machine in order given. Select dough cycle. Open lid and check dough after a few minutes. It should be a slightly sticky ball.
- When dough cycle completes (bread dough will rise inside machine during this cycle), remove dough from pan to a floured surface.
- Preheat conventional oven to 400 degrees F.
- Divide dough into 8 portions and make into balls. Allow to rest for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare water bath. Add soda and salt to water and bring to a boil.
- Gently smash each ball into a flat bun-like shape. Drop each bun into your boiling water bath. Cook 30 seconds, then flip and cook another 30 seconds. They will be wrinkly as a raisin.
- Remove each bun to a well-greased cookie sheet or a tray covered with a silicone mat. These buns are prone to major "stickage."
- Use a serrated knife or new single-edge razor blade to slice an X into each bun about 1/2 inch deep. Sprinkle with coarse salt.
- Bake 20-24 minutes.
- Remove buns ASAP to a cooling rack. Otherwise, they will stick. When cool, slice horizontally if using for sandwiches.
- Zojirushi BB-PDC20BA Home Bakery Virtuoso Plus Breadmaker, 2 lb. loaf of Bread, Stainless Steel/Black
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. But don't worry. This doesn't change the price you pay.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 buns Serving Size: 1 bun
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 191 Total Fat: 2g Saturated Fat: 1g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 1g Cholesterol: 4mg Sodium: 2907mg Carbohydrates: 37g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 1g Protein: 6g
Posts Related to Bread Machine Pretzel Buns: