Orange Pecan Waffles are Belgian waffles flavored with orange juice, orange zest, and pecans. Breakfast was never so much fun.
It’s nice to have good friends to vacation with occasionally.
But if you’re married, finding “couple” friends is challenging. Consider all the relationships that have to work. Throw in children of different ages and things get complicated.
Spending 24 hours a day together can bring up a lot of issues. You have to agree on food, activities, lodging, and money.
Then there are the eccentricities
most of us I try to hide from polite company. That takes work!
Why we love Orange Pecan Waffles:
Meanwhile, back at camp, we cooked, ate, and talked about the next time we would eat.
Many food traditions evolved over the years. For example, we rewarded ourselves with homemade ice cream after setting up camp. We always prepared Joan’s Orange Pecan Waffles for breakfast at least once.
About the Non-Electric Waffle Iron
Part of the fun was making them with Joan’s Belgian waffle iron seen below. Instead of using electricity, heat it directly over a burner or campfire.
These are not fussy waffles. No separating eggs or folding in the whites.
Joan assembled the dry ingredients at home. She combined them with the liquids right before cooking them at camp.
I bought a manual waffle iron for myself but don’t use it much. It requires constant attention–something I can only manage when I’m away from home. As you can guess, I used an electric waffle iron to make the waffles pictured here.
This recipe produces thick Belgian waffles with a rather dense, muffin-like texture. In fact, leftovers make great snacks later in the day.
If you make this and enjoy the recipe, it would help me and others if you would return to this post and leave a rating (on the recipe card itself underneath the picture). Although always appreciated, no comment is required. Thanks so much! Paula
- 1-1/2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Juice (2/3 cup) and rind (1 tablespoon) of two small oranges
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 cup pecans,toasted and chopped
- Whisk or sift together flour, baking powder, salt and sugar in a large bowl.
- Add eggs, vanilla, orange juice, rind and butter to flour mixture. Stir with a spoon just until mixed. Carefully fold in pecans.
- Cook on preheated waffle iron according to manufacturer's instructions.
- KRUPS Belgian Waffle Maker, Waffle Maker with Removable Plates, 4 Slices, Black and Silver
- NordicWare 15040 Cast Aluminum Stovetop Belgium Waffle Iron
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. But don't worry. This doesn't change the price you pay.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 261 Total Fat: 10g Saturated Fat: 5g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 3g Cholesterol: 82mg Sodium: 448mg Carbohydrates: 38g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 12g Protein: 6g