My favorite dinner roll recipe gets a makeover to produce these Sweet Rum-Raisin Yeast Rolls. Rum-flavored icing and raisins are the stars of the show.
Like most of my bread recipes, you can mix this by hand or with a stand mixer if you don’t have a bread machine. Instructions here.
My love affair with rum flavoring goes back to butter rum lifesavers.
Remember those? I guess they’re still around but I haven’t had any for years. Helen Corbitt inspired me with a recipe titled Rum Buns in her book, Helen Corbitt’s Cookbook. Her recipe uses a brioche-type dough but I wanted something a little easier.
I immediately thought of my favorite dinner rolls. I’ve made them hundreds of times, mixing the dough in a bread machine, of course.
These are the changes made to my favorite recipe:
- Substituted white whole wheat flour for half of the unbleached flour (I tried to make them a little healthier, but don’t worry. You can still get fat on them.)
- Added raisins seasoned with orange or lemon oil (May I caution you about substituting extract for the oil? Not the same. I would rather you leave it out altogether, although the oil makes these special.)
- Added icing (See #1. No need to take the health issue to extremes.)
I think ball-shapes are the fastest and easiest way to shape these rolls. If you haven’t seen it before, here’s a slightly dorky video I made to show you my simple technique.
Pin the picture below to save for later.
If you make this recipe and enjoy it, consider helping other readers and me by returning to this post. Leave a rating on the recipe card itself underneath the picture. Although always appreciated, comments aren’t required. Thank you for visiting! Paula
- 1 cup milk (I use 1 tablespoon heavy cream and the rest nonfat milk.)
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1-1/2 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1-1/2 cup unbleached flour
- 2-1/4 teaspoon bread machine yeast
- 1 cup raisins sprinkled with a few drops of orange or lemon oil
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons rum or 2 teaspoons rum extract (to your taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2+ tablespoons heavy cream to make a runny icing
- Add all ingredients but raisins to bread machine pan in order listed.
- Select dough cycle. Check dough after 10 minutes. Add flour or milk, as appropriate, 1 tablespoon at a time to make dough stick to the side of the pan and then pull away as it kneads.
- When dough cycle completes, remove dough from pan and place on floured surfaced. Knead raisins into dough.
- Divide dough into 16 equally-sized pieces and form into smooth balls. Place in 2 greased 8 or 9-inch round pans (preferably with a dark finish).
- Lightly cover pans with a tea towel and allow dough to rise until almost double.
- Bake in oven preheated to 375 degrees for 10-12 minutes. Allow to rest 5 minutes. Remove rolls from pan and allow to cool on a rack unless you want to eat them right away. You have my permission.
- Combine all ingredients, stirring until smooth. Pour over slightly cooled rolls.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. But don't worry. This doesn't change the price you pay.