Preview: Make these simple Jalapeño Snacks with Cheese and Flour Tortillas in a non-stick skillet. They smell so fabulous as the cheese browns, you won’t want to share.
If you are looking for a quick and easy snack with pickled jalapeños at game time or midnight, use a raw or cooked flour tortilla, grill it with a little cheese and jalapeño until it’s golden brown and crispy, then slice in quarters to serve. So easy!
Thankfully, these are easy to make, too. I had a little trouble getting pictures though. I kept eating my models because they smell so good when they’re hot and crispy.
I got the idea for these jalapeño snacks from Lacey where I get my hair cut. We were talking about our favorite things to buy at Costco when she mentioned their unbaked flour tortillas. YES! Me too! I love them. If you don’t have access to these tortillas, you can use any store-bought tortillas or make tortillas yourself.
Anyway, she told me her husband likes to make midnight snacks with these tortillas. Although I’ve never eaten hers, this is my interpretation based on her description.
Ingredients and substitutions:
Only three ingredients are required. In addition to flour tortillas and cheese, you will need jarred pickled jalapenos. Lacey put me on to Mezzetta brand Deli-Sliced Tamed Jalapeno Peppers. I like their slightly crunchy texture and somewhat milder taste.
I’ve tried different cheeses including the Mozzarella that Lacey uses (it’s good), but my favorite is a Mexican cheese called Queso Quesadilla cheese, aka Asadero. When cooked, the Queso Quesadilla turns brown and crunchy. Less cheese is better than more if you want it crispy.
How to make Jalapeño Snacks with Cheese and Flour Tortillas:
More recipes using tortillas:
Pin this post for later!
Did you enjoy this recipe? If so, you can help others and me by leaving a 5-star 🤩 rating in the comment section below. No comment is required.
p.s. If you have any questions or suggestions, you can email me privately: Paula at saladinajar.com.
Hope to see you again soon!
Jalapeño Snacks with Cheese and Flour Tortillas Recipe
- 1 flour tortilla - cooked or uncooked
- ¼ cup shredded Asadero - or Queso Quesadilla Cheese
- 1 teaspoon sliced pickled jalapeno peppers
- If using uncooked tortillas, brown one side in an UNGREASED nonstick skillet over medium heat and turn over. If using previously cooked tortillas, lay a tortilla in a hot UNGREASED nonstick skillet.
- Sprinkle cheese lightly over top of the tortilla, then chopped jalapeno peppers. I use a teaspoon of peppers per tortilla but the amount is up to you.
- Allow the tortilla to heat until the cheese melts. Gently mash with a spatula, if necessary, to help the cheese melt.
- Flip tortilla over so that cheese is now in contact with the skillet. Allow the tortilla to fry until cheese is browned and crispy. It should be easy to scoop out when cooked in a nonstick pan.
- Use a pizza cutter or kitchen scissors to cut into wedges.