If you are looking for a quick and easy fix at game time or midnight, these Jalapeño Snacks with Crispy Cheese on Flour Tortillas are a favorite. Use a raw or cooked flour tortilla, grill it with a little cheese and jalapeño until it’s golden brown and crispy, then slice in quarters to serve.
Thankfully, these are easy to make, too. I had a little trouble getting pictures though. I kept eating my models because they smell so good when they’re hot and crispy.
I got the idea for these jalapeño snacks from Lacey where I get my hair cut. We were talking about our favorite things to buy at Costco when she mentioned their unbaked flour tortillas. YES! Me too! I love them. If you don’t have access to these tortillas, you can use any store-bought tortillas or make tortillas yourself.
Anyway, she told me her husband likes to make midnight snacks with these tortillas. Although I’ve never eaten hers, this is my interpretation based on her description.
Only three ingredients are required. In addition to flour tortillas and cheese, you will need jarred jalapenos. Lacey put me on to Mezzetta brand Deli-Sliced Tamed Jalapeno Peppers. I like their slightly crunchy texture and somewhat milder taste.
I’ve tried different cheeses including the Mozzarella that Lacey uses (it’s good), but my favorite is a Mexican cheese called Queso Quesadilla cheese, aka Asadero. When cooked, the Queso Quesadilla turns brown and crunchy. Less cheese is better than more if you want it crispy.
How to make Jalapeño Snacks with Cheese and Flour Tortillas
More recipes using tortillas
Pin the picture below to save for later.
Did you try this recipe and enjoy it? Consider helping other readers (and me) by returning to this post. Leave a rating on the recipe card itself underneath the picture. Although always appreciated, comments aren’t required.
If you have a question or tip to share, please leave it in the regular comments after the recipe so I can answer back. Or, email me privately: paula at saladinajar.com.
Thank you for visiting!
- 1 flour tortilla (cooked or uncooked)
- 1/4 cup shredded Asadero (or Queso Quesadilla Cheese)
- 1 teaspoon sliced pickled jalapeno peppers
- If using uncooked tortillas, brown one side in an UNGREASED nonstick skillet over medium heat and turn over. If using previously cooked tortillas, lay a tortilla in a hot UNGREASED nonstick skillet.
- Sprinkle cheese lightly over top of the tortilla, then chopped jalapeno peppers. I use a teaspoon of peppers per tortilla but the amount is up to you.
- Allow the tortilla to heat until the cheese melts. Gently mash with a spatula, if necessary, to help the cheese melt.
- Flip tortilla over so that cheese is now in contact with the skillet. Allow to "fry" until cheese is browned and crispy. It should be easy to scoop out when cooked in a nonstick pan.
- Use a pizza cutter or kitchen scissors to cut into wedges.