If you are looking for a quick game-time snack, these Crispy Jalapeño Cheese Snacks are a man-favorite. Use raw or cooked flour tortilla, grill with a little cheese and jalapeño, then slice in quarters to serve.
With all the baseball and football on TV these days, it’s high time I showed you my new favorite game-watching snack.
- It’s manly.
- It’s spicy.
- It’s easy to eat.
Thankfully, it’s easy to make, too. I had a little trouble getting pictures though. I kept eating my models because they smell so good when they’re hot and crispy.
I got the idea for these snacks at the beauty salon from Lacey. We were talking about our favorite things to buy at Costco when she mentioned their unbaked flour tortillas. YES! Me too! Love those things and I’ve written about them before– Jelly-Cheese Quesadillas and Brisket and Pepper Jack Quesadillas.
Anyway, she told me her husband likes to make midnight snacks with these tortillas. Although I’ve never eaten hers, this is my interpretation based on her description.
Only three ingredients are required. In addition to flour tortillas and cheese, you will need jarred jalapenos. Lacey put me on to Mezzetta brand Deli-Sliced Tamed Jalapeno Peppers. I like their slightly crunchy texture and somewhat milder taste.
I’ve tried different cheeses including the Mozzarella Lacey uses (it’s good), but my favorite is a Mexican cheese called Queso Quesadilla cheese, aka Asadero. When cooked, the Queso Quesadilla turns brown and crunchy. Less cheese is better than more if you want it crispy.
If you make this recipe and enjoy it, consider helping other readers and me by returning to this post. Leave a rating on the recipe card itself underneath the picture. Although always appreciated, comments aren’t required. Thank you for visiting! Paula
- 1 flour tortilla (cooked or uncooked)
- 1/4 cup shredded Asadero (or Queso Quesadilla Cheese)
- 1 teaspoon sliced pickled jalapeno peppers
- If using uncooked tortillas, brown one side in an UNGREASED nonstick skillet over medium heat and turn over. If using previously cooked tortillas, lay a tortilla in a hot UNGREASED nonstick skillet.
- Sprinkle cheese lightly over top of the tortilla, then chopped jalapeno peppers. I use a teaspoon of peppers per tortilla but the amount is up to you. Leave it off completely for pepper-haters. Allow the tortilla to heat until cheese melts. Gently mash with a spatula, if necessary, to help the cheese melt.
- Flip tortilla over so that cheese is now in contact with the skillet. Allow to "fry" until cheese is browned and crispy. It should be easy to scoop out when done in a nonstick pan. Use a pizza cutter or kitchen scissors to cut wedges.
Serve immediately. Best when hot!
More ideas for jalapeno lovers …