Blueberry Coffee Cake starts with cookie-crust base, then a layer of blueberries enveloped in a sweet cake-like batter topped with pecans.
Fresh blueberries take me back to summer on the farm in Indiana–specifically my brother’s house. Good food is always happening in my sister-in-law’s farm kitchen. Susan generously shared this Blueberry Coffee Cake recipe with me a few years ago. I’m pretty sure she uses blueberries she has picked herself. Even though there is no opportunity to pick my own blueberries now, the coffee cake is still fabulous with the fresh berries from Costco or Kroger.
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 c. butter
- 3 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1 c. fresh or frozen blueberries
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans
- Blend together in food processor until particles begin to stick together. Press into 8×8 inch square dish. Bake for 25 minutes at 350 degrees.
- Scatter blueberries on top of baked base.
- Combine remaining ingredients except pecans and pour over blueberries.
- Sprinkle pecans on top.
- Bake in oven preheated to 350 degrees F for 25 minutes or until golden brown.