Chicken thighs are marinated in a made-from-scratch teriyaki sauce, then cooked under the broiler or on a grill to make Easy Black and White Sesame-Teriyaki Chicken Thighs. Garnish with black and white sesame seeds before serving
Are you the kind of person who thinks ahead about what you want to eat for dinner?
Anytime I can make a recipe or any part of it ahead of time, I’m a happy cook.
With that in mind, I’m glad to report the teriyaki marinade for this chicken can be mixed and stored up to a week ahead of time.
On the morning of the
When ready for dinner, drain the chicken. Grill or broil the thighs for 6-8 minutes per side. It’s that easy!
As a finishing touch, try using black sesame seeds in addition to regular sesame seeds when making these Easy Black and White Sesame-Teriyaki Chicken Thighs.
I know what you’re thinking…
Don’t have black sesame seeds? Don’t fret.
It won’t change the flavor to leave them out. (Hint: Places like Central Market and Whole Foods in my area sell them in the bulk spice aisle. That way you won’t have to buy a bunch.)
If you make this recipe and enjoy it, consider helping other readers and me by returning to this post. Leave a rating on the recipe card itself underneath the picture. Although always appreciated, comments aren’t required. Thank you for visiting! Paula
- 1/3 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons dry sherry
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed with a garlic press or minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons peeled and finely grated fresh ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (adjust to your spice tolerance)
- 8-10 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- Sesame seeds
- Black sesame seeds
- Chopped chives (optional)
- Whisk together first seven ingredients to make teriyaki marinade.
- Pour marinade into gallon zippered plastic bag or bowl along with chicken thighs. Allow to sit in the refrigerator a minimum of 30 minutes or all day if necessary.
- Preheat broiler. Drain teriyaki sauce into 2-quart glass batter bowl and reserve. Arrange chicken thighs "skin" side down on foil-covered cookie sheet. Place under broiler (or grill, if you prefer) until brown and crispy 6-8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook reserved teriyaki sauce in microwave 4-5 minutes. Sauce will boil and cook down a bit.
- When turning chicken thighs, brush marinade over the top and continue to broil another 6-8 minutes until chicken is almost cooked through.
- Sprinkle chicken with "white" sesame seeds and cook until seeds turn golden brown--about 1-2 minutes longer. Remove from oven and sprinkle with black sesame seeds before serving. Garnish with chopped chives if desired.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 397 Total Fat: 19g Saturated Fat: 5g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 14g Cholesterol: 228mg Sodium: 884mg Carbohydrates: 10g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 6g Protein: 48g