Mexican Pizza with Cheese-Stuffed Double Tortilla Crust is built on a base of two flour tortillas with cheese in-between. Add shrimp, corn, tomatoes and 2 kinds of cheese over salsa (instead of pizza sauce.) Good for two people or one very hungry person.
If you like thin-crust pizza…
Mexican Pizza with Cheese-Stuffed Double Tortilla Crust is for you.
This pizza is super crispy depending a little bit on the variety and brand of tortilla you choose. Gluing two tortillas together is genius and SO delicious.
This wasn’t really my idea. Here’s the story:
We are calling it “The Desert Trip.” Our annual September vacation with good friends, Steve and Joan, consisted of a visit to several state and national parks in the southwest.
We do this every year
Traditionally, we celebrate my birthday on 9/11 at the nicest restaurant we can find wherever we are.
This year it was the Whiptail Grill at Zion National Park. We tried several entrees that were delicious. But it was their Mexican pizza, in particular, that inspired me to come home and whip up my own version.
These little pizzas are as easy to make as a quesadilla.
No, wait. They’re even easier because you don’t have to flip them.
I’ve written out a recipe but honestly, the ingredients are pretty much negotiable. Just like any pizza. Use however much you want but be warned that when you pile any pizza too high with cheese and veggies, the pizza won’t cook in the middle.
If you’re not a shrimp lover, substitute cooked chicken or thinly sliced steak
If you make this recipe and enjoy it, consider helping other readers and me by returning to this post. Leave a rating on the recipe card itself underneath the picture. Although always appreciated, comments aren’t required. Thank you for visiting! Paula
- 2 8-inch flour tortillas (See notes)
- 3/4 cup shredded Sharp Cheddar
- 2 tablespoons salsa
- 1/3 cup shredded Monterrey Jack
- 3 large shrimp, cooked
- 1/4 cup fresh corn
- 1 Roma tomato, chopped
- 1 tablespoon green chilies, chopped
- pinch fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 tablespoon feta cheese
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Lay 1 cooked tortilla in iron skillet, pizza pan or cookie sheet and distribute Cheddar cheese on top. Cover with second tortilla.
- Spread salsa over top of tortilla stack as you would pizza sauce. Be sparing.
- Sprinkle most of Jack cheese over sauce and layer remaining ingredients on top in order given and amount to your taste. End with remaining shreds of Jack cheese on top.
- Bake in 425 degree oven until browned which is about 10 minutes but will vary depending on the amount of ingredients and how brown you like your cheese and crust.
My very favorite tortillas in the whole world are the uncooked flour tortillas sold in quantity at Costco. They are quick to cook in a dry skillet and make the best crust. Of course, any flour tortillas from the grocery store will work.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. But don't worry. This doesn't change the price you pay.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 560 Total Fat: 34g Saturated Fat: 18g Trans Fat: 1g Unsaturated Fat: 11g Cholesterol: 106mg Sodium: 1025mg Carbohydrates: 36g Fiber: 3g Sugar: 3g Protein: 29g