Simple Green Chili Stew with Tomatoes and Ground Pork is a simple and quick-to-put-together stew recipe for supper. Throw it together and let simmer for 30-60 minutes while you wind down from a long day. Serve with flour tortillas.
Before Christmas, a partially frozen bag of roasted green chilies arrived at my doorstep. My sister Bonnie sent them from Colorado. Thankfully, she also sent some of her favorite recipes. The title on this one was, “Christmas Chili.”
What is Christmas Chili?
Why Christmas Chili? Is it like “Funeral Potato Salad” or “Fourth of July Cake?” It turns out the chili derives its name from the red and green colors. It most certainly IS NOT limited to the holiday season. Tastes especially good on a blustery day.
How to peel roasted green chilis:
Although they don’t make a great first impression visually (especially after being frozen), fresh roasted green chilies are so flavorful compared to the canned ones. Peel off the charred skin. Split and clean out the seeds.
Canned green chilies are a satisfactory substitute if you don’t happen to have a source or a generous sister like I do.
RELATED POST: Green Chile Stew with Green Beans
This mildly flavored chili is reasonable in calories and EASY to make.
The best part?? Dipping warm flour tortillas into the savory liquid. Oh my! So tasty.
- 1 pound ground pork (not sausage)
- 1/2 cup chopped onions
- 1-2 cloves minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon cumin (optional)
- 2 tablespoons flour
- Salt and Pepper
- 1 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 4 oz. can chopped green chilies
- 4 cups water
- Brown pork in Dutch oven along with onions, garlic and cumin, if using. Drain grease. I like to leave a teaspoon or two behind for flavor.
- Sprinkle meat with flour and stir till it browns. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add tomatoes and chilies to meat. Stir in water and bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer for 30 to 60 minutes or until thickness desired.
- Serve with warm tortillas.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 397 Total Fat: 24g Saturated Fat: 9g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 13g Cholesterol: 107mg Sodium: 296mg Carbohydrates: 13g Fiber: 3g Sugar: 6g Protein: 32g