Susan’s Sour Cream Coffee Cake is a cinnamon-pecan coffee cake from one of our family’s best cooks.
Besides being perfectly moist, it gets even better the second day, which means you can make it the day before if it’s more convenient.
I love vanilla and cinnamon, so my recipe calls for double the amount used in Susan’s version.
Assembling Susan’s Sour Cream Coffee Cake:
In keeping with my philosophy to make desserts in small sizes, I usually halve this recipe, use a foil-lined 8 x 8-inch square baking pan, and reduce oven time to 25 minutes. No leftovers = no needless temptation. Believe me when I say those layers of cinnamon goodness will call your name and nag you endlessly if left to idle in your kitchen.
If you make this and enjoy the recipe, it would help me and others if you would return to this post and leave a rating (on the recipe card itself underneath the picture). Although always appreciated, no comment is required. Thanks so much! Paula
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- Beat room-temperature butter and sugar until light and creamy. Add eggs and continue to beat another minute or two.
- Sift or stir flour, soda, baking powder, and salt together in a separate bowl.
- Whisk sour cream, vanilla, and milk together in another small bowl.
- Alternate adding dry ingredients and sour cream mixture to the butter and sugar. Mix just until combined. Don't overdo it.
- Pour half of the batter into a 9 x 13-inch pan. Sprinkle with half of the streusel. Repeat with other half of batter and streusel which means you will end up with streusel over the top.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 35-40 minutes.
- Combine all ingredients and follow instructions above.
Sprinkling the top with powdered sugar is optional. That's how I do it.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 365 Total Fat: 19g Saturated Fat: 8g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 10g Cholesterol: 63mg Sodium: 215mg Carbohydrates: 45g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 27g Protein: 5g
Check out these recipes from our family recipe box: