Cheesy Jalapeño Mashed Potatoes are similar to the Papas con Chile at Abuelo’s. You won’t need gravy because of the flavor in the cheese and jalapeños.
This recipe is inspired by the Papas con Chile at Abuelo’s, an upscale Mexican restaurant where they often serve them with Espinaca.
I make no claims that this is the recipe. Pretty sure it isn’t. No matter. We still like them a lot.
Although these definitely aren’t low-calorie, they don’t need gravy. The cheese and spicy jalapeños take care of that. Play with the number of peppers to suit your tolerance for spicy heat.
These potatoes reheat beautifully making them perfect for a potluck or for
How to assemble ” Jalapeño Mashed Potatoes with Cheese”
What would you like to read next?
Pin the picture below to save for later.
Did you try this recipe and enjoy it? Consider helping other readers (and me) by returning to this post. Leave a rating on the recipe card itself underneath the picture. Although always appreciated, comments aren’t required.
If you have a question or tip to share, please leave it in the regular comments after the recipe so I can answer back. Or, email me privately: paula at saladinajar.com.
Thank you for visiting!
- 2 pounds red potatoes, scrubbed and quartered
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 green onions, white parts finely chopped, green parts sliced thin
- 1/4 cup red bell peppers, chopped
- 1/4 cup green bell peppers, chopped
- 1/4 cup green chilies, chopped
- 2 tablespoons pickled jalapenos, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 2 ounces cream cheese
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup shredded American cheese
- Salt and pepper
- Boil potatoes in large pot with enough water to cover. Reduce heat and simmer until fork tender.
- While potatoes cook, saute green onions, all peppers and garlic in butter. Add cream cheese and stir till melted. Whisk in milk till smooth. Add cheese and stir gently until melted.
- Drain potatoes and allow to set on cooling burner for about 5 minutes to dry them out a bit. Use masher to break up potatoes. Gently fold in cheese and vegetables. Season with salt and pepper.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 285Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 37mgSodium: 431mgCarbohydrates: 35gFiber: 3gSugar: 6gProtein: 9g