Cheesy Jalapeño Mashed Potatoes are similar to the Papas con Chile at Abuelo’s. You won’t need gravy because of the flavor in the cheese and jalapeños.
Health issues in the family have a way of rearranging priorities. Do you know what I mean?
Things like powdered sugar donuts, salad in a jar, and homemade Greek yogurt seem pretty insignificant by comparison. After a bad fall with serious repercussions, my father is at the top of the list this week.
Nevertheless, life goes on and we still have to eat. Mashed potatoes, please.
This recipe is inspired by the Papas con Chile at Abuelo’s, an upscale Mexican restaurant where they often serve them with Espinaca.
I make no claims that this is the recipe. Pretty sure it isn’t. No matter. We still like them a lot.
Although these definitely aren’t low-calorie, they don’t need gravy. The cheese and spicy jalapeños take care of that.
(Note to Staci: These potatoes reheat beautifully making them perfect for a potluck or for
How to Assemble Cheesy Jalapeño Mashed Potatoes:
If you make this and enjoy the recipe, it would help me and others if you would return to this post and leave a rating (on the recipe card itself underneath the picture). Although always appreciated, no comment is required. Thanks so much! Paula
- 2 pounds red potatoes, scrubbed and quartered
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 green onions, white parts finely chopped, green parts sliced thin
- 1/4 cup red bell peppers, chopped
- 1/4 cup green bell peppers, chopped
- 1/4 cup green chilies, chopped
- 2 tablespoons pickled jalapenos, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 2 ounces cream cheese
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup shredded American cheese
- Salt and pepper
- Boil potatoes in large pot with enough water to cover. Reduce heat and simmer until fork tender.
- While potatoes cook, saute green onions, all peppers and garlic in butter. Add cream cheese and stir till melted. Whisk in milk till smooth. Add cheese and stir gently until melted.
- Drain potatoes and allow to set on cooling burner for about 5 minutes to dry them out a bit. Use masher to break up potatoes. Gently fold in cheese and vegetables. Season with salt and pepper.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 285 Total Fat: 12g Saturated Fat: 7g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 4g Cholesterol: 37mg Sodium: 431mg Carbohydrates: 35g Fiber: 3g Sugar: 6g Protein: 9g