Sneak Preview: These Jalapeño Mashed Potatoes with Cheese resemble the Papas con Chile at Abuelo’s. You won’t need gravy because of the flavor in the cheese and jalapeños.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
This recipe is inspired by the Papas con Chile at Abuelo’s, an upscale Mexican restaurant where they often serve them with Espinaca.
I make no claims that this is the recipe. Pretty sure it isn’t. No matter. We still like them a lot.
Although these definitely aren’t low-calorie, they don’t need gravy. The cheese and spicy jalapeños take care of that. Play with the number of peppers to suit your tolerance for spicy heat.
These potatoes reheat beautifully, making them perfect for a potluck or for
How to assemble Jalapeño Mashed Potatoes with Cheese:
1. Boil potatoes in a pot with water to cover.
2. Sauté green onions, peppers, and garlic in butter.
3. Add cream cheese, milk, and American cheese.
3. Drain cooked potatoes. Gently mix the vegetable-cheese mixture from step 2 with the potatoes.
If you have questions or suggestions, email me privately for a quick answer: Paula at saladinajar.com. Hope to see you again soon!
Jalapeño Mashed Potatoes with Cheese
- 2 pounds red potatoes - scrubbed and quartered
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 green onions - white parts finely chopped, green parts sliced thin
- ¼ cup red bell peppers - chopped
- ¼ cup green bell peppers - chopped
- ¼ cup green chilies - chopped
- 2 tablespoons pickled jalapenos - finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic - chopped
- 2 ounces cream cheese
- ½ cup whole milk
- ½ cup shredded American cheese
- Salt and pepper
- Boil potatoes in large pot with enough water to cover. Reduce heat and simmer until fork tender.
- While potatoes cook, saute green onions, all peppers and garlic in butter. Add cream cheese and stir till melted. Whisk in milk till smooth. Add cheese and stir gently until melted.
- Drain potatoes and allow to set on the warm burner with the heat turned off for 5 minutes to dry them out. Use a masher to break up potatoes. Gently fold in cheese and vegetables. Season with salt and pepper.