Sneak Preview: These Jalapeño Mashed Potatoes with Cheese resemble the Papas con Chile at Abuelo’s. You won’t need gravy because of the flavor in the cheese and jalapeños.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
This recipe is inspired by the Papas con Chile at Abuelo’s, an upscale Mexican restaurant where they often serve them with Espinaca.
I make no claims that this is the recipe. Pretty sure it isn’t. No matter. We still like them a lot.
Although these definitely aren’t low-calorie, they don’t need gravy. The cheese and spicy jalapeños take care of that. Play with the number of peppers to suit your tolerance for spicy heat.
These potatoes reheat beautifully, making them perfect for a potluck or for
How to assemble Jalapeño Mashed Potatoes with Cheese:
1. Boil potatoes in a pot with water to cover.
2. Sauté green onions, peppers, and garlic in butter.
3. Add cream cheese, milk, and American cheese.
3. Drain cooked potatoes. Gently mix the vegetable-cheese mixture from step 2 with the potatoes.
Help at Your Fingertips: For questions or suggestions, email Paula at saladinajar.com. If you need help, I’m happy to troubleshoot via email (faster than leaving a comment). Attach pictures and as many details as possible for the best advice.
Jalapeño Mashed Potatoes with Cheese
- 2 pounds (907 g) red potatoes, scrubbed and quartered
- 2 green onions, white parts finely chopped, green parts sliced thin
- ¼ cup (37 g) red bell peppers, chopped
- ¼ cup (37 g) green bell peppers, chopped
- ¼ cup (37 g) chopped green chiles, canned
- 2 tablespoons pickled jalapenos, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 ounces (56 g) cream cheese
- ½ cup (114 g) whole milk
- ½ cup (70 g) shredded American cheese
- 1 teaspoon table or sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Boil 2 pounds (907 g) red potatoes, scrubbed and quartered in a large pot with enough water to cover. Reduce heat and simmer until fork tender.
- While potatoes cook, saute 2 green onions, white parts finely chopped, green parts sliced thin, 1/4 cup (37 g) red bell peppers, chopped, 1/4 cup (37 g) green bell peppers, chopped, and 1/4 cup (37 g) chopped green chiles, canned and 1 clove garlic, chopped in 2 tablespoons butter. Add 2 ounces (56 g) cream cheese and stir till melted. Whisk in 1/2 cup (114 g) whole milk till smooth. Add 1/2 cup (70 g) shredded American cheese and stir gently until melted.
- Drain potatoes and set them on the warm burner with the heat turned off for 5 minutes to dry them out. Use a masher to break up potatoes. Gently fold in vegetables. Season with 1 teaspoon table or sea salt and ¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper.