This recipe for Grilled Salmon with Fresh Corn, Tomato and Avocado Relish takes salmon to a new level when served over grilled asparagus and garnished with fresh and colorful summer veggies.
This old picture, taken during a shopping trip in 1988 with lots of other girls from church, might give you an idea of why I still miss the friend who gave me this recipe.
Beth told me she makes this recipe for their Christmas dinner. But Christmas isn’t the best time to get good tomatoes and corn for the relish, so I waited until the middle of summer.
Tomatoes combined with fresh sweet corn and avocados dress up this salmon far beyond my usual throw-it-on-the-grill-and-eat-it-with-Dijonnaise routine.
This recipe originated with Emeril Lagasse according to Google. I’ve adapted it to my own tastes and the contents of my spice rack.
Mr. Lagasse called for Essence on the salmon but I substituted lime pepper. Surely lemon pepper would be just as good. I also left out the fresh onions in the relish because we like to kiss at my house and those two don’t go together very well–at least not for me.
How to buy good avocados:
They can be tricky. It’s difficult to catch them at just the right stage–not too hard, not too soft and before they start to develop dark spots inside. Read about my secret for buying avocados without bruises if you don’t already have your own method.
Avocados also keep this dish from storing well. Ever tried to keep leftover guacamole to eat the next day?? Same deal.
Pin the picture below to save for later.
If you make this and enjoy the recipe, it would help me and others if you would return to this post and leave a rating (on the recipe card itself underneath the picture). Although always appreciated, no comment is required. Thank you for visiting! Paula
- 1 large ear fresh corn, husks removed
- 1 large fresh tomato, diced
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley leaves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoon fresh-squeezed lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 4 (6 ounce) salmon fillets
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Lemon or lime pepper
- Asparagus, fresh 4-5 stalks per person, grilled
- Boil or microwave corn until tender. When cool enough to handle, cut corn from cob.
- Add remaining ingredients and mix gently. Chill
- Brush (or spray) both sides of each fillet with olive oil. Sprinkle with lemon pepper. Grill over medium heat for 3-4 minutes on each side until flesh is opaque. Time will vary with thickness and temperature of grill.
- Place salmon on top of asparagus. Spoon cool relish over top of warm salmon. The contrast in temperature is one of the best features of this dish. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 638 Total Fat: 41g Saturated Fat: 7g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 30g Cholesterol: 143mg Sodium: 676mg Carbohydrates: 16g Fiber: 5g Sugar: 4g Protein: 53g
Easy Almond Salmon for Two
Salmon filets with butter-toasted almonds on top--simple but tasty.
Pizza Fish...or How to Get Your Kids to Eat Fish
Lightly breaded fish topped with pizza sauce and mozzarella cheese and chopped basil.