Steak and Mushroom Slow Cooker Soup combines round beef steak with mushrooms and a flavorful broth to create a quick-to-assemble soup you can put in a slow cooker and forget about.
Is your freezer a black hole?
Recently, a package of round steak was found hanging out in the bottom of my freezer. It was still safe to eat but had a little bit of freezer burn. Just slightly past its prime. Evidently, it fell down the black hole in my freezer.
Round steak is not particularly good for a walk-in-the-door-and-eat-10-minutes later kind of menu. It’s more tender when cooked with moisture.
Consequently, I started thinking about soup in a slow cooker. The result is this tasty recipe for Steak and Mushroom Slow Cooker Soup. The recipe is my own but I was
The original idea originated with the prime rib soup at Harrigan’s restaurant (sadly, long gone in our area). It used to be one of my favorites on their menu along with New Orleans potatoes and Cheesy Yeast Rolls.
Notice I don’t use prime rib in this recipe because I don’t normally have such elegant leftovers. But round steak is very tasty, especially when cooked in a crock pot. Prime rib couldn’t stand cooking all day anyway.
If you make this and enjoy the recipe, it would help me and others if you would return to this post and leave a rating (on the recipe card itself underneath the picture). Although always appreciated, no comment is required. Thanks so much! Paula
- 2 slices bacon
- 1-2 pounds round steak, cut in 1-inch cubes
- 1 cup frozen chopped onions
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 5 cups water
- 1 tablespoon beef bouillon concentrate
- 1 tablespoon Kitchen Bouquet
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 bay leaf
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt or sour cream
- Fry bacon. Remove from pan, crumble and place in crock pot.
- Saute steak in remaining bacon grease over high heat until browned. Do this in small batches so skillet doesn't cool down. Place browned steak in crock pot.
- Saute onions and mushrooms in pan. Add to crock pot.
- Add water, bouillon, Kitchen Bouquet, soy sauce, bay leaf and black pepper to crock pot and stir.
- Cook on LOW for 8-10 hours.
- Remove about 1 cup broth from soup and whisk yogurt or sour cream into it unto smooth. Add back to crock pot and stir. Remove bay leaf before serving.
- All-Clad SD712D51 4 Quart Deluxe Slow Cooker, Stainless Steel
- Kitchen Bouquet Browning and Seasoning Sauce - 4 oz
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. But don't worry. This doesn't change the price you pay.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 383 Total Fat: 16g Saturated Fat: 6g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 7g Cholesterol: 143mg Sodium: 459mg Carbohydrates: 8g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 4g Protein: 53g
Steakhouse Rolls--Another Bread Machine Recipe
Steakhouse Rolls are like rolls you might be served at a steakhouse. Directions for mixing and kneading in a bread machine are included.Get the Recipe
Round Steak and Sausage Pinwheels
Round steak rolled up with sausage inside--fancy enough for any occasionGet the Recipe
Leftover Steak Soup
Use leftover steak or beef roast to make a delicious soup full of mushrooms and seasonings. Sour cream stirred in at the end creates stroganoff-like flavors.Get the Recipe