Steak and Mushroom Slow Cooker Soup combines leftover beef steak with mushrooms and a flavorful broth to create a quick-to-assemble soup you can put in a slow cooker and forget about. Later in the day, serve this soup with sour cream for stroganoff-like flavors.
Recently, I found a package of round steak in the bottom of my freezer– slightly past its prime. I bought it on sale with the idea of whipping up a fancy little dinner dish the next time I had company. I accidentally forgot about it.
Since I’m working some 12-hour days now, I decided to reacquaint myself with my slow cooker. It’s just what I need to prevent Chinese take-out overload when I come home too tired to cook.
Steak and Mushroom Slow Cooker Soup reminds me of the prime rib soup at Harrigan’s restaurant (sadly, long gone in our area). It used to be one of my favorites along with their New Orleans potatoes and Cheesy Yeast Rolls.
Notice I didn’t use prime rib in this recipe because I don’t normally have such elegant leftovers like the restaurant evidently did. But round steak will suffice, especially when cooking in a crock pot. Prime rib couldn’t stand cooking all day anyway.Print
Beef and mushrooms dominate this hearty and filling soup.
- 2 slices bacon
- 1-2 pounds round steak, cut in 1-inch cubes
- 1 cup frozen chopped onions
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 5 cups water
- 1 tablespoon beef bouillon concentrate
- 1 tablespoon Kitchen Bouquet
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 bay leaf
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt or sour cream
- Fry bacon. Remove from pan, crumble and place in crock pot.
- Saute steak in remaining bacon grease over high heat until browned. Do this in small batches so skillet doesn’t cool down. Place browned steak in crock pot.
- Saute onions and mushrooms in pan. Add to crock pot.
- Add water, bouillon, Kitchen Bouquet, soy sauce, bay leaf and black pepper to crock pot and stir.
- Cook on LOW for 8-10 hours.
- Remove about 1 cup broth from soup and whisk yogurt or sour cream into it unto smooth. Add back to crock pot and stir. Remove bay leaf before serving.
Keywords: leftovers, steak, wintertime, easy soup