Preview: Leftover Steak Soup combines the flavor of a steak with the umami of mushrooms. Adding tangy sour cream as the final touch creates a tasty gravy for dipping homemade French Bread or Ciabatta.
Our Christmas is over, the decorations are boxed and stashed back into the attic, but my fridge is still reeling from excess food, specifically leftover rib roast. It was delicious but too big for one meal.
Are you like me and wondering what to do with leftover steak? That’s why this recipe was born.
RELATED POST: Beef Cabbage Stew with Ham: Popular with Meal Lovers
Recycling a Christmas Rib Roast
Prepare this soup quickly with leftover meat. Use any leftover or pre-cooked steak you have on hand. Even a leftover roast would be delicious.
Herbs, spices, and a splash of red wine make the soup more interesting. Although I specify fresh herbs, you can substitute dried herbs if you have them on hand.
RELATED POST: Steak and Mushroom Slow Cooker Soup
How to assemble Leftover Steak Soup:
Hopefully, you’ve got some good rustic or French bread in the house. Toast a slice of chewy bread for dipping in the saucy sour-cream flavored goodness.
You could go in a different direction by dishing up mashed potatoes, noodles, or mashed cauliflower in each soup bowl first, then topping with this stroganoff-like soup.
RELATED POST: Creamy Rotisserie Chicken and Mushroom Soup
A word of warning: Heating this soup too long will cause certain types of steak to become chewy, for example, rib-eye or tenderloin. It doesn’t matter so much with a cooked roast meat like chuck.
p.s. No leftover steak? Check out this similar recipe for Steak and Mushroom Soup using a slow cooker and uncooked round steak.
Are you looking for a good bread recipe to dip in your soup?
- 50+ Best Bread Machine Recipes To Make You Look Like a Pro
- Bread Machine Sourdough Dinner Rolls
- Really Crusty Rolls from Your Bread Machine
- A Crusty Bread Machine French Bread
Pin this post for later!
Did you enjoy this recipe? If so, you can help others and me by leaving a 5-star 🤩 rating in the comment section below. No comment is required.
p.s. If you have any questions or suggestions, you can email me privately: Paula at saladinajar.com.
Hope to see you again soon!
Leftover Steak Soup Recipe
- 2 slices bacon - chopped
- 1 small onion - chopped
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms - sliced
- 5 cups water
- 1 tablespoon beef bouillon concentrate
- 1 tablespoon Kitchen Bouquet
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- Splash of red wine - optional
- 1 bay leaf
- Freshly ground black pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 pound steak - already cooked (leftovers would be perfect)
- Fry bacon in large pot. Remove from pan and set aside. Leave grease in pan.
- Add onions and mushrooms to pot and fry until soft.
- Add water, bouillon, Kitchen Bouquet, soy sauce, red wine, bay leaf, salt, black pepper, and cayenne to pot.
- Combine cornstarch and 1/4 cup water together in a small jar. Add to pot, whisking all the while to prevent lumps. Over medium-low heat, bring soup to a simmer for about 5 minutes or until slightly thick.
- Skim off about 1/2 cup of soup liquid and add to sour cream in a small bowl. Whisk together until smooth.
- Add sour cream mixture back to soup along with cooked steak pieces. Warm until soup is heated through.