Toffee Bars Made Easy have a shortbread base covered with melted chocolate chips and chopped pecans. Impressive but quick to make when time is short!
When pressed for time, would you rather make a recipe you know by heart or one hiding in a cookbook or messy recipe file? Yep! That’s what I thought. Like you, I go with what I know to save time.
So I have good news today! You won’t need a written recipe for long with these Toffee Bars Made Easy. The recipe is easy to memorize.
The “1” stands for 1 cup of flour. The “4” stands for the 4 ingredients in the shortbread base. Put them together and you have 1/4 which indicates the amount needed for each ingredient: 1/4 cup powdered sugar, 1/4 cup butter, and 1/4 teaspoon salt. I generally eyeball the chocolate chips, conveniently saving me the need to memorize that measurement.
Variations on Toffee Bars Made Easy:
The possibilities for topping these bars are numerous. The cookies you see in the top photo are covered with semi-sweet chocolate chips and pecans. My oldest son goes crazy for them. My husband like the bars pictured below featuring half chocolate chips and half white chocolate chips. Next, I may try peanut butter chips marbled with chocolate chips. And how about melted chocolate chips topped with toasted almonds? Yum!
Kitchen Secret Alert:
A parchment paper or foil sling is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED to enable you to remove these cookies from the pan without crumbling. See directions in picture below.
These layered bars have a shortbread base covered with melted chocolate chips and chopped pecans.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips or flavor of your choice
- 1/8 cup chopped nuts (optional)
- Make a parchment paper or foil sling for 8-inch pan. This is essential if you are to have any hope of getting the bars out of the pan without crumbling. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Stir flour, sugar and salt together in small bowl. Pour in melted butter and stir. Use fingers to thoroughly mix butter with dry ingredients.
- Dump butter/flour mixture in to pan and pat down smooth. Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes.
- Immediately after removing from the oven, sprinkle chips evenly over the surface of shortbread cookie base. Allow to sit until all chips are completely melted and soft.
- VERY carefully use a knife or back of a spoon to spread soft chips in an even layer. If desired, sprinkle chopped, toasted nuts over the top. Put in refrigerator until chocolate layer hardens. Remove cookies and sling from pan carefully. Slice into 16 pieces.
Keywords: Christmas cookies, cookie recipes, Chocolate, Desserts, Easy bar cookies
If you like shortbread cookies, don’t miss these blog posts: