I am so excited to share How To Make My Favorite Pizza Dough With a Bread Machine with you. We have been using this recipe in our family for years. The recipe is written for a bread machine but you can mix it up in your stand mixer or even by hand if you prefer.
A few years ago, I worked for a major pizza chain in their research and development department. After I saw how much oil goes in the bottom of their pizza pans, I decided to make myself going forward. This recipe is good for thick or thin pizza. It also makes
I love to make pizza dough in my bread machine using the dough cycle. If I put it on the timer function, it will be ready to make out into pizza the moment I walk in the door from work.
Once the dough cycle of your bread machine has completed, dump the dough out of the bread machine pan onto a lightly floured surface. Then follow the 6 steps below to put together your pizza.
6 Easy Steps for Assembling a Basic Pizza
- Divide dough in half and make into ball shapes.
- Allow dough to rest for 10 minutes.
- Use your fingers/hands to spread dough to the edges of a liberally-greased pizza pan.
- Add sauce of your choice. Be sure you can still see a little bit of the crust through the sauce.
- Sprinkle cheese over the top, all the way to the edge. Don’t go overboard with the cheese or it will be difficult to completely bake the crust in the middle.
- Add toppings of choice to your pizza. Again, don’t go overboard with the toppings for the same reason listed in step #5.
I’ve included nutritionals. However, without knowing about your choice of toppings and the amount, these numbers are just a place to start.
If you make this recipe and enjoy it, consider helping other readers and me by returning to this post. Leave a rating on the recipe card itself underneath the picture. Although always appreciated, comments aren’t required. Thank you for visiting! Paula
- 1 cup lukewarm water
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups bread flour (If you use all-purpose flour- you may need to add up to 1/4 cup extra)
- 2 1/4 teaspoons fast-rising or bread machine yeast
- Place ingredients in bread machine in order given. Run through dough cycle.
- When dough has risen, remove from bread pan to floured surface and divide in 2 pieces. Spray a heavy pizza pan with olive oil. Push and cajole pizza to desired thinness with your hands. Using a rolling pin tends to make the dough compact. If dough is resistant to stretching, let it sit and relax for a few minutes then come back to it.
- Layer sauce first (don't overdo it), cheese and then meat or vegetables. Watch the amounts. Excess toppings will cause your pizza to take too long to bake and may result in a soggy middle. Bake in oven that has been preheated to 450 degrees. Let cool for 2-3 minutes before slicing.
Directions for making bread with a stand mixer or by hand:
- To make this recipe in a heavy-duty stand mixer, add ingredients to the bowl in the same order. Turn on low to mix until all ingredients are moistened. Using dough hook, turn speed to 2 or 3 and continue beating/kneading until dough becomes smooth and elastic, about 5-10 minutes. Cover and allow to rise in a warm place. Deflate dough gently and shape rolls as indicated in recipe.
- If making by hand, combine all ingredients into a shaggy ball in a large bowl. Turn dough out on a floured surface and knead with your hands until dough becomes smooth and elastic, a process that will likely take 10-20 minutes depending on your experience. Place dough ball into a greased bowl. Cover and allow to rise until double. Deflate dough gently and shape rolls as indicated in recipe
- Please note: If you substitute regular yeast for instant or bread machine yeast, you must dissolve it first before adding to the dry ingredients. Stir it into about 1/4 cup of the lukewarm liquid called for in the recipe. Let sit for about 10 minutes. Add to other wet ingredients and then add dry ingredients. Proceed as directed to knead and shape rolls.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. But don't worry. This doesn't change the price you pay.
- Zojirushi BB-PDC20BA Home Bakery Virtuoso Plus Breadmaker, 2 lb. loaf of Bread, Stainless Steel/Black
- King Arthur Flour Unbleached Bread Flour, 5 Pound (Packaging May Vary)
- Fleischmann's Yeast for Bread Machines, 4-ounce Jars (Pack of 1)
- California Olive Ranch Everyday Extra Virgin Olive Oil, 25.4 oz
Nutrition Information:Yield: 16 Serving Size: 2 slices
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 142Total Fat: 2gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 134mgCarbohydrates: 26gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 4g