Do you have a signature dish? I’m not sure I do but if I did, it would probably be Chewy Oatmeal Cookies with Coffee Icing. Cookies seem to fly out of the cookie jar faster with a light coating of sweetness. Click on these links to see some of my favorite frosted cookie recipes from past posts: Soft Pumpkin Cookies with Browned Butter Icing, Pink Shortbread Cookies, and Soft Cinnamon Cookies with Browned Butter Icing
After thumbprints , these chewy, cinnamon-spiced and coffee iced oatmeal cookies are my husband’s favorite. Since I only do thumbprints at Christmas, he gets these more often than any other.
Out of the oven, they are rather crispy but soften somewhat within hours. Ice them with coffee flavored icing or try browned butter icing . Plain white powdered sugar icing is also tasty (replace coffee with milk or cream).
For variety, try adding raisins or dried cranberries. If you go that route, I recommend nixing the frosting. Frosting and raisins = lots of sweetness. However, my husband disagrees. And he is the authority. Sorta. On these cookies anyway.
Crisp and chewy oatmeal cookies with coffee icing
- 1 cup butter (2 sticks), softened
- 1 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 tablespoons honey
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups quick-cooking oats (not instant or old-fashioned–important for the right texture)
Coffee-Flavored Powdered Sugar Glaze
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoons black coffee (or milk if you prefer)
- Whip butter until smooth and creamy. Add sugar and continue beating until well mixed. Add eggs, honey, and vanilla and mix well.
- Whisk together flour, cinnamon, baking soda and salt. Add to butter mixture. Stir in oats.
- Drop onto cookie sheet by teaspoonfuls. They spread a good bit so leave plenty of room. Bake at 350 degrees for 6-8 minutes.
Coffee Flavored Powdered Sugar Glaze
- Mix sugar with black coffee and mix until smooth. You may need to add more liquid to make glaze spreadable.
Browned Butter Glaze is also delicious on these cookies.