Chewy Oatmeal Cookies with Coffee Icing are thin, crispy and chewy. A thin top layer of coffee-flavored icing guarantees they will be a hit with the whole family.
If I had a signature cookie, it would probably be Chewy Oatmeal Cookies with Coffee Icing. These cookies seem to fly out of the cookie jar. The light coating of sweetness doesn’t hurt, either.
Next to Thumbprints, these Chewy Oatmeal Cookies with Coffee Icing are my husband’s favorite. Since I only do thumbprints at Christmas, he requests and gets these more often than any other.
Straight out of the oven, these cookies are rather crispy, but will soften somewhat within hours. Ice them with coffee flavored icing or try browned butter icing. Plain white powdered sugar icing is another good option. Replace the coffee with milk or cream.
For variety, try adding raisins or dried cranberries. If you go that route, I recommend nixing the frosting. Frosting and raisins equal a lot of sugar. However, my husband disagrees. And he is the authority. Sorta. On these cookies anyway.
Crisp and chewy oatmeal cookies with coffee icing
- 1 cup butter (2 sticks), softened
- 1 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 tablespoons honey
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups quick-cooking oats (not instant or old-fashioned–important for the right texture)
Coffee-Flavored Powdered Sugar Glaze
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoons black coffee (or milk if you prefer)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Whip butter until smooth and creamy. Add sugar and continue beating until well mixed. Add eggs, honey, and vanilla and mix well.
- Whisk together flour, cinnamon, baking soda and salt. Add to butter mixture. Stir in oats.
- Drop onto cookie sheet by teaspoonfuls. They spread a good bit so leave plenty of room. Bake at 350 degrees for 6-8 minutes.
Coffee Flavored Powdered Sugar Glaze
- Mix sugar with black coffee and mix until smooth. You may need to add more liquid to make glaze spreadable.
Browned Butter Glaze is also delicious on these cookies.
- Serving Size: 1 cookie
- Calories: 184 kcal
- Sugar: 22.9 g
- Fat: 5.8 g
- Carbohydrates: 32.2 g
- Fiber: .8 f
- Protein: 1.8 g
Keywords: cookies, oatmeal cookies, cookie recipes, coffee-flavored glaze