This Kay’s Baked Key Lime Pie Recipe contains not only sweetened condensed milk and key limes, but also egg yolks and whipped egg whites.
This means two things. First, It must be baked. Second, the pie will be lighter in texture. Allow time for the pie to chill.
My sister Kay was just here from Alabama for a brief visit. She’s a good southern cook, so I’m always keen for her recipes. This time I coerced her into making her Key Lime Pie while I took pictures.
What is the correct way to use a lemon press?
Kay: “I’m not sure how would be the best way to juice these key limes.”
Me: “I’ve got one of those metal squeezy things…. or a reamer… or even a glass dish with a built-in reamer. Here, let’s try this metal lemon juicer.” (I pull it out of the drawer and proceed to try it.)
Me: “See? It works perfectly.”
Kay: “I see that, even though you’re doing it upside-down.”
Me: “What?!?! That’s not upside down. What do you mean? So how would you do it?”
Kay: “The other way, with the lime-half flipped over.”
Me: “Hm-m-m. I don’t know about that, but I have an idea. Why don’t we ask my readers?”
Does the lime (or lemon) go up or down in a metal juicer?
The cut side goes down.
The verdict is in…
Looks like I was wrong on this one. Although a few people agreed with me, many more went with my sister. (Her way is shown on the left in the picture above–cut side down.)
I am generally an early-adopter. But on this one, it looks like I’m a little late learning how to squeeze a lime correctly. Thanks for straightening me out, Sis.
Credits for Baked Key Lime Pie:
Thanks to my sister Kay for sharing this recipe. The graham cracker crust comes from Helen Corbitt’s Cookbook.
If you make this recipe and enjoy it, consider helping other readers and me by returning to this post. Leave a rating on the recipe card itself underneath the picture. Although always appreciated, comments aren’t required. Thank you for visiting! Paula
- 1-1/2 cup graham cracker crumbs (about 20 squares)
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- 1/3 cup fresh-squeezed key lime juice
- 9-inch graham cracker pie crust (purchased or homemade)
- 1 cup heavy cream, whipped with 1/3 cup powdered sugar and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Crush crackers using food processor or blender. Add sugar and melted butter. Pulse until mixed.
- Press into 9-inch pie shell.
- Bake at 300 degrees for 8 minutes.
- Beat 3 egg whites in a small bowl until stiff. Set aside.
- You can use the same beaters to beat 4 egg yolks and 1 egg white in a separate medium-sized bowl until thick and light-colored.
- Add milk to egg yolks and mix well. Add juice and continue to beat until thick.
- Add beaten egg whites to egg-yolk mixture and mix gently just until evenly distributed. Don't over mix. Stop when there are no more obvious lumps of egg whites. Carefully pour into baked pie shell.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 10-15 minutes.
- When cooled, refrigerate for 2-3 hours.
- Garnish with whipped cream when serving.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. But don't worry. This doesn't change the price you pay.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 485Total Fat: 32gSaturated Fat: 17gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 159mgSodium: 321mgCarbohydrates: 43gFiber: 1gSugar: 23gProtein: 7g