Those colors spell summer to me–even in the dead of winter! Traditional Calabacitas (“Little Squashes”) with Potatoes (my improvisation) added makes this dish even better. Make a lot so you will have leftovers for veggie tacos or quesadillas.
When yellow squash, zucchini and sweet corn go on sale at the store, I start craving Calabacitas, (“little squashes” in Spanish). I play pretty fast and loose with the ingredients and seasoning. Not thinking most people put potatoes in their Calabacitas but I love the texture. No good tomatoes at the store? Leave ’em out. Got a few mushrooms in the produce drawer? Add them with the potatoes. Don’t like spicy? Leave out the green chilies. Like garlic? Go ahead. You get the idea.
Calabacitas are a good vegetarian entree as well as a side dish. My favorite way to eat them is in a veggie taco. Wrapped in a soft flour tortilla with some shredded cheddar, they become a lunch that makes me wish the clock hands would hurry up and move to 12:00 noon so I can eat.
Traditional Calabacitas (“Little Squashes”) with Potatoes along with zucchini, yellow squash, and corn is a gorgeous summertime side dish.
- 3 ears fresh corn, husks and silks removed
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 medium potatoes, diced (peeled or not)
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen chopped onion
- 3 yellow and/or zucchini squash-diced
- 2 small Roma tomatoes, diced
- 1/4 cup green chilies, chopped (canned or fresh roasted)
- 1 teaspoon dried or fresh oregano, chopped or 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded Cheddar or goat cheese (optional)
- Wrap corn ears in plastic wrap. Microwave on HIGH 4-5 minutes.
- Preheat large skillet. Add 1 tablespoon vegetable oil. Add diced potatoes. Stir occasionally to brown all sides. Cover and cook until just tender. Add onion and saute until soft but not brown.
- Slice squash in quarters longways. Slice quarters crossways 3/4-1 inch thick. Add to skillet, cover and cook until slightly soft, stirring occasionally. Add tomatoes and green chilies, cover and cook 1 more minute. Season with salt, pepper and your choice of spices.
- Slice corn off of cob trying to preserve large chunks. Very gently stir into other vegetables in skillet. Remove from heat and add cheese if desired.
1. Watching your carbs? Leave the potatoes out or replace them with mushrooms. Yum!
2. I love the look of chunks of corn so it’s worth it to me to use fresh, but frozen corn can be used instead.
3. Sometimes I add about 1 cup of fresh or frozen sliced okra along with the squash. Changes the character a bit, but it’s oh so delicious!
Keywords: calabacitas, corn, green chilies, potatoes, side dish, veggie tacos, squash, yellow squash, zucchini, mushrooms, vegetarian recipe