Leftover chocolate chip cookies are the basis for these easy but hard-to-resist Chocolate Chip Cookie Truffles. Dip them in chocolate or roll them in powdered sugar to make a perfect Valentine’s Day present.
I am not a candy maker, although my mom was. In her heyday, she could make perfect fudge, peanut brittle, toffee, caramel, divinity–all of it.
Obviously, I did not get her candy gene. Hand me a pan and a thermometer and I want to make yogurt, not candy.
But I can make these. No thermometer or cooking required. They are a great way to recycle leftover chocolate chip cookies.
These are so easy, even your kids can make them.
Unfortunately, I will not be giving any of these away since my husband and I have managed to eat every last one of them. I know. Shameful, yes? Yes, shamefully delicious!!
- 1 pound baked chocolate chip cookies
- 3 ounces cream cheese (light cream cheese works great)
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon vegetable shortening
- Crush cookies. You can put them in a zippered plastic bag and flatten with a rolling pin. It's easier to use a food processor and process until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add cream cheese and process or mix until mixture holds together. Expect the mixture to be dark in color.
- If you have them, put on plastic gloves and form cookie mixture into 1-inch balls. I like to use a small ice cream dipper to get uniformity. Place on a cookie sheet covered with wax paper or a silicone baking sheet. Refrigerate.
- Place chips and shortening into microwave-safe bowl and microwave for 1 minute, stirring to melt. Add time in very small increments to finish melting if necessary.
- Dip balls into melted chocolate with fork until completely covered. Return balls to wax paper or silicone baking sheet and chill until chocolate is hard.
If you don't want to mess with the dipping, try rolling the balls in powdered sugar or cocoa.
- Cuisinart DLC-10SY Pro Classic 7-Cup Food Processor, White
- The Safety Zone GNEP-SM-1P Nitrile Exam Gloves - Medical Grade, Powder Free, Latex Rubber Free, Disposable, Non Sterile, Food Safe, Textured, Indigo Color, Convenient Dispenser Pack of 100, Size Small
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. But don't worry. This doesn't change the price you pay.