First, corn gets the southwestern seasoning treatment. Then combine it with melted white cheese to make a spicy White Queso and Corn Dip. Serve with corn or tortilla chips.
You’ve heard of the “freshman 15.” Right?
We’re talking about the 15 pounds many college freshmen put on during their first year of college.
Cheese dip made with Rotel tomatoes and melted Velveeta was responsible for most of my freshman 15. This Hoosier girl had never heard of such a thing before. (We’re talking ’70’s here.) I took to the stuff with a little too much gusto at midnight dorm parties causing my clothes to fit pretty tightly by Christmas.
Fast forward a few years and I have a new vice. Once you get started, White Queso and Corn Dip
Not surprisingly, it’s perfect for a holiday or game day party. Keep your guests dipping by serving from a small slow cooker with corn chips or my favorite, multi-grain tortilla chips.
A note about the cheese in White Queso and Corn Dip:
I buy the Hot Pepper Cheese at Krogers–it’s their store brand. If not available, substitute white American cheese and add chopped, pickled jalapeno peppers, especially if you like your cheese dip spicy. Although I haven’t tried it myself, I suspect you could also substitute white Velveeta.
How to make paper containers for the chips:
Containers made with 8.5 x 5.5-inch pieces of colored card stock and Scotch tape.
If you make this and enjoy the recipe, it would help me and others if you would return to this post and leave a rating (on the recipe card itself underneath the picture). Although always appreciated, no comment is required. Thank you for visiting! Paula
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups frozen southwestern seasoned corn or canned Mexicorn, drained
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup chopped green chilies
- 16 ounces Hot Pepper pasteurized processed cheese food with jalapeno peppers or white American cheese +1-2 teaspoons pickled jalapeno peppers, chopped
- 1 12-ounce can evaporated milk
- Fresh chopped cilantro (optional)
- Melt butter in large skillet over medium heat. Add corn to skillet and saute until corn barely begins to brown. Stir in garlic and green chilies.
- Reduce heat to low. Cut cheese into small chunks and add to skillet. As cheese begins to melt, stir and add milk gradually till cheese is dipping consistency. You may not use all the milk immediately but save it to thin dip as needed. Whatever you do, don't let this mixture boil or it will separate and be ruined!
- Add cilantro just before serving if desired.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. But don't worry. This doesn't change the price you pay.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 133 Total Fat: 7g Saturated Fat: 4g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 2g Cholesterol: 20mg Sodium: 127mg Carbohydrates: 15g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 8g Protein: 5g
Other Posts Related to White Queso and Corn Dip: