Easy Beef Nacho Cheese Dip is made with Velveeta cheese, sausage, ground beef (hamburger), Rotel tomatoes, and green chilies. Serve it out of the same slow cooker you in which you make it.
Recently, I asked my niece, Derinda, to send me some recipes for my blog/future family cookbook. And she did. They are simple to prepare and delicious. She has a couple of young kids and lots of friends so the recipes have been expertly taste-tested.
Derinda writes, “In the spirit of the Super Bowl this is our FAVORITE Velveeta cheese dip with ground beef for chips. It is definitely a meal in itself!”
Ingredients and Substitutions
- PORK SAUSAGE: Use breakfast-style ground sausage sold in tubes. Italian-style sausage is going to change the recipe significantly, so I don’t recommend it. Breakfast-style turkey sausage is another option.
- GROUND BEEF: An 85/15 blend of ground beef or hamburger is my favorite. You’ll want to drain off excess grease so the less fat you have going in, the better.
- ONION: Yellow or white onions suit this recipe. Use frozen onions if you don’t have fresh ones.
- GREEN CHILIES: Canned chilies are the easiest form to use in this recipes. Save yourself some time and buy the chopped ones.
- CONDENSED CREAM OF MUSHROOM SOUP: This is another timesaver. If you are cooking for somebody on a gluten-free diet, try making cream of mushroom soup from scratch.
- ROTEL TOMATOES: If you can’t find Rotel tomatoes, substitute diced canned tomatoes + green chilies. Here in Texas, you can find many copycat and store brands of Rotel that would be satisfactory.
- VELVEETA CHEESE: Did you know there is a recipe you can make at home for Velveeta cheese? I haven’t tried it myself, but it’s a possibility if you can’t find it where you live. Cheese Whiz is another option.
What To Do with Leftovers
This makes a lot! If you have some leftover hamburger cheese dip, try making “Migas” by adding approximately 1/4 cup of cheese sauce and a handful of crumbled chips to an uncooked scrambled egg in a non-stick skillet. Stir gently until all the egg has been cooked. Serve with flour tortillas and salsa.
More Party Recipes
Pin the picture below to save for later.
Did you try this recipe and enjoy it? Consider helping other readers (and me) by returning to this post. Leave a rating on the recipe card itself underneath the picture. Although always appreciated, comments aren’t required.
If you have a question or tip to share, please leave it in the regular comments after the recipe so I can answer back. Or, email me privately: paula at saladinajar.com.
Thank you for visiting!
- 1 pound ground pork sausage (breakfast-style)
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 small white onion, finely diced
- 1 can green chilies (7 oz), finely chopped
- 1 (10.5 oz) can condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 1 (10 oz) can Rotel tomatoes
- 3 pounds Velveeta
- Brown sausage, ground beef, and onion. Drain.
- Add browned meat and onion along with all other ingredients into a slow cooker. Heat on LOW until cheese is melted and leave on LOW in the pot to serve.
TIMESAVING HINT: Melt the cheese separately in the microwave before adding it to your slow cooker to save time.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 30 servings Serving Size: 1 serving
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 239Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 63mgSodium: 942mgCarbohydrates: 6gFiber: 0gSugar: 4gProtein: 15g
Thanks, Derinda, for an easy recipe that is sure to be the hit of any party.