This Soft Pumpkin Cookies with Browned Butter Icing recipe produces cake-like spiced cookies flavored with pumpkin and cinnamon. Directions for Browned Butter Icing included.
It’s hard to beat pumpkin pie, but these Soft Pumpkin Cookies with Browned Butter Icing are right up there when it comes to celebrating the fall season.
Delicately flavored brown butter icing, which you can make in the microwave, complements the cinnamon and pumpkin perfectly. Chopped pecans sophistication, flavor, and a crunchy texture to this otherwise simple cookie.
Are you wondering what to do with the leftover pumpkin?
Read about three ideas for what to do with 1/4 cup of leftover canned pumpkin puree.
Are you looking for more ideas?
Did you try this recipe and enjoy it? Consider helping other readers (and me) by returning to this post. Leave a rating on the recipe card itself underneath the picture. Although always appreciated, comments aren’t required.
If you have a question or tip to share, please leave it in the regular comments after the recipe so I can answer back. Or, email me privately: paula at saladinajar.com.
Thank you for visiting!
- ½ cup shortening
- 1 cup brown sugar
- ½ cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup plain yogurt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup pumpkin, canned
- 2 ¾ cup flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon soda
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Cream shortening and sugars. Add eggs and combine. Add yogurt, vanilla and pumpkin.
- Combine with flour, salt, baking powder, soda and cinnamon. Drop by tablespoonfuls on cookie sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes .
Browned Butter Icing
- Brown 2-3 T. butter (the real thing) in a small skillet. (May take several minutes on low heat—be careful not to burn or you have to start over.)
- Add 2 cups powdered sugar and 1 tablespoon warm milk. Beat until smooth. May need to add more sugar or milk to get the right consistency. As it cools, it gets thick—just add a little more milk and stir.
- Ice cookies. Before icing dries, sprinkle with chopped, toasted pecans.
- These freeze beautifully. Wrap well.
Did you make this recipe?
Please leave a comment on the blog or share a photo on Pinterest