The next time you have an emergency and need a quick dessert, try these Emergency Brownies baked in a microwave. In less time than it takes to run to the store and buy a mix, you can fill your kitchen with the chocolaty aroma of scratch, fudge brownies.
Mix the batter. Pop in the microwave. Start to finish in less than 15 minutes.
This isn’t gourmet stuff (translated–not so rich that one bite puts you out of commission for the rest of the day). But I promise it will satisfy any sugar cravings.
The original recipe came with directions to “cut when cold”. Good luck with that one. Be careful not to burn your fingers because you’ll want to dig in immediately.
- Mixing time: 5-7 minutes
- Baking time: 6-7 minutes
- Clean-up: How long does it take to wash 2 bowls, beaters and measuring spoons?
Watch closely the first time you make these brownies as each microwave oven cooks slightly differently. Once you figure out the perfect time for your oven, you can set the timer and walk away.
RELATED POST: Your Coffee Needs this Triple-Chocolate Biscotti Recipe
Why this is a good recipe for emergencies:
Nothing low-calorie about this recipe. However, I find that knowing I can make a sweet goodie this fast from ingredients I always keep in my pantry means I don’t have to keep cookies around the house for unexpected occasions.
RELATED POST: Cookies and Cream Brownies
No reason to buy those Oreos “just in case”. Oreos are bad about calling out to me every time I walk past them in the kitchen. Can you relate?
If you make this and enjoy the recipe, it would help me and others if you would return to this post and leave a rating (on the recipe card itself underneath the picture). Although always appreciated, no comment is required. Thank you for visiting! Paula
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup melted unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa
- 1 teaspoon instant espresso (optional)
- 1/4 cup chopped semi-sweet chocolate or chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup chopped, toasted nuts (peanuts, pecans, walnuts, etc.)
- Pinch cinnamon
- Blend eggs, sugar, salt and vanilla with a mixer (hand mixer works fine) about 1 minute until light.
- Add melted butter and keep beating.
- Mix in flour and cocoa at low speed just until the flour disappears.
- Combine ingredients for topping in a small ball. Either stir the topping into the batter now or sprinkle on top after batter is put in baking dish. I like to sprinkle it on top. Looks fancy.
- Spread into 8" square or round glass oven-safe dish arranging batter with the spatula to be somewhat thicker around the edges and corners than in the middle. Helps to even out the baking.
- Microwave on HIGH for (5 1/2) - 7 minutes. When done, top looks dry and springs back when lightly touched. If brownie is chewy, it's overcooked. Cut back the time. Food cooked in a microwave continues to cook for a minute or two after removed from the oven.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. But don't worry. This doesn't change the price you pay.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 241 Total Fat: 13g Saturated Fat: 7g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 5g Cholesterol: 51mg Sodium: 110mg Carbohydrates: 30g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 21g Protein: 4g
Other desserts you can whip up in the microwave: